Good deals on winter gear

Rod Caster

Last year, my Gf and I did a bit of ice fishing together but she was often too cold to enjoy it and therefore she held a grudge against winter in general. I told her we'd outfit her with quality gear this year and today was a great start towards getting her into the sport.

ASM in North Bay has these boots on sale for over 60 percent off at $69.99. I have a pair of Cabela's Saskatchewan Pac boots and in comparison, these ones are essentially weightless!!! Rated to -85, I'm hoping they'll keep her feet warm.

http://www.allsnowmo...oduct_info.html

She also picked up some nice snowpants for around $70 from these guys in North Bay.

www.asmstores.com

Next on the list: how to put a live minnow on a hooklaugh.gif

Anyone have good deals on winter gear to report?

Edited by Rod Caster

my old lady comes ice fishing...

as long as shes warm she'll stay out...

one trick is bring a piece of wood for her to put her feet on while fishing... the separation from the ice will help keep her feet warm...

hot paws?... those single use heat pads from canadian tire... priceless

thermos with soup or coffee...

and if you can afford it... a portable shack and a good heater...

i know im off topic... i dont know of any deals... but i thought id let you know the things i do to keep her warm...

my old lady comes ice fishing...

as long as shes warm she'll stay out...

one trick is bring a piece of wood for her to put her feet on while fishing... the separation from the ice will help keep her feet warm...

hot paws?... those single use heat pads from canadian tire... priceless

thermos with soup or coffee...

and if you can afford it... a portable shack and a good heater...

i know im off topic... i dont know of any deals... but i thought id let you know the things i do to keep her warm...

X2 on the hot paws. Those things have saved my fingers a couple times. I like the piece of wood idea, I never would have thought of that.

One of the problems with winter boots that have light liners is that the bottom of the liner is compressed from the weight of the user, making it thin and essentially useless while the top and sides stay lofted. Boots with deep grips help a bit in keeping the bottom of the foot away from the snow but a good thick felt insole or two works even better. Felt pac boots are usually warmer as the felt at the bottom doesn't compress as much. Some good boots come with a separate insole included and the best pair I've owned had an extra layer of insulation molded into the foot bottom in the rubber itself. One of the reasons that keeping your feet of the snow on a board works well.....

I find a floor mat with a rubber bottom works better for the feet on the ice and you can roll it up for packing.

as for a deal, I was at the Whitby North CTC yesterday and they had #6 Nanofil line on for $13.99 and all other #'s were reg. price. Going to try it ice fishing this season as it's been ok for me (#12 that is) during the soft water season.