Costa Rica (Liberia)

camillj

I'm heading south for a fishing trip in Costa Rica at the end of the month ... not looking for your "secret holes" .. but any tips would be welcome :)

I believe we are heading up into Nicaragua for a day of Marlin chasing and another day (or two) chasing inshore Roosters and 'cudas and such...

I been reading alot about the fauna and bugs ... wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom (re vaccines etc)

Oh .. and in case I forgot to introduce myself you can call me Jon :)

I'm heading south for a fishing trip in Costa Rica at the end of the month ...

Got no secret holes Jon. Fished the Pacific there before out of Tamarindo and Brasilto. Your going north of Liberia will give you better odds of catching more billfish as they'll be migrating through the area, but still more north. Nicaragua could possibly offer wicked jungle river tarpon. Roosters would be wild to catch.

I will say this, Costa Rica is FULL of natural beauty and fun ways of seeing the land. The River Terrorio for some white water rafting would be great the time of year you're going. Travel by moped just for something to do is safe. The people/merchants there aren't overly pushy... and, as far as bad water, haven't had any problems in past trips. If you can though, sure wouldn't hurt to pop a Ciprofloxacin once a day to help prevent travelers diarrhea.

Have a nice trip.

Thanks MB ... yes I was reading about "Cipro" today ... and did the Chloroquine (just in case) - although I am not so sure its not already resistant.

Anyhow will take the camera and hope to post some pretty zoo-pic's on my return.

I went a couple of years back and didn't get any special vaccines and came home fine. A friend of mine went in the spring and came back with giardia (?).

The Arenal Lake by the volcano has a guide on it and they have something called Sunshine Bass or something like that. Didn't see many boays out their so you might have the whole lake to yourself.

www.arenalfishing.com/

Go after the Roosters, that would be a true trophy. I tried for them, but didn't hook up with any. Did see some Marlin's swimming around, which got the boat operator very excited.

One of my favourite places!

• 2 weeks later...