Carburator Sync tool

scugpg

Guys I need to sync the carbs on my 4 stroke motor and there is a vacuum sync tool that you use for it.

Does anyone know if its possible to rent one of these?

Its a really easy procedure according to the service manual, but need to track down a this fancy tool. Will take to dealer if I have to but would prefer not.

Thanks!

Talked with Slowpoke and DanD today and it was suggested that you can build one. As soon as I track down some metric barbed fittings I should be good to go!

DSC01596.JPG

Don't forget the inline restricter between the carburetors pulse hose and the liquid. If you have to much suction then they will draw the fluid into the carb and will pulse as the valves open and close.

Art

Don't forget the inline restricter between the carburetors pulse hose and the liquid. If you have to much suction then they will draw the fluid into the carb and will pulse as the valves open and close.

Art

After putting on the new fittings and making sure there wasn't any leaks I got it working tonight B)

I was amazed at how sensitive this unit is with the ATF oil in it. The slightest adjustment on a carb and it would move.

My guess is that the original fittings I had weren't tight on the manifold and was causing the irratic behaviour. I was impressed with how well it worked.

Dand - Got it idling at the right RPM and its running well, might need to slightly tweak the idle mixture but syncing the carbs seemed to help significantly.

Thanks again you guys!

Now just get a color Tune Plug and you can adjust jets and tune the air fuel mixture to a bright blue flame front inside the cylinder. Then it is off to the race track... Glad it worked for you.

Art

:lol: that would be pretty funny to hook one up on the motor! Its a pretty simple concept once you get the swing of things.

Dand - Got it idling at the right RPM and its running well, might need to slightly tweak the idle mixture but syncing the carbs seemed to help significantly.

Thanks again you guys!

Now that you’ve got the manometer working and have the carbs balanced idle screw wise it should be a simple back and forth adjustment between main/master idle screw & mixture screws of each carb.

Like what we were talking,1/4 turn on a mixture and wait for a change; if idle increases, another 1/8 -1/4 turn, in the same direction.

If idle stays the same or decreases on the initial turn in; turn screw out to original position and then 1/4 more out and wait for idle change. If no idle change in either direction put screw back to original clock position.

If there was an idle increase in whichever direction continue in that direction with 1/8 – 1/4 turns until there is no change in idle and then back that last 1/8 or 1/4 turn.

If there was a big change in one of the carbs mixture; you may need to start over again with balancing the carbs using the individual idles screws.

Once they are rebalanced then recheck the mixture settings again; like we talked yesterday make small adjustments one at a time and then sit back and wait for a reaction. Maybe forget about having that sip of beer between adjustments; that may not be all that good of an idea, depending on how many adjustments you make? :dunno:

One last thought :devil: because you’re using ATF in the meter; when you’ve got the carbs all set, crack the throttle hard. That’ll suck the manometer dry and well-ah you’ve just fogged the engine. LOL

Dan.

Now that you’ve got the manometer working and have the carbs balanced idle screw wise it should be a simple back and forth adjustment between main/master idle screw & mixture screws of each carb.

Like what we were talking,1/4 turn on a mixture and wait for a change; if idle increases, another 1/8 -1/4 turn, in the same direction.

If idle stays the same or decreases on the initial turn in; turn screw out to original position and then 1/4 more out and wait for idle change. If no idle change in either direction put screw back to original clock position.

If there was an idle increase in whichever direction continue in that direction with 1/8 – 1/4 turns until there is no change in idle and then back that last 1/8 or 1/4 turn.

If there was a big change in one of the carbs mixture; you may need to start over again with balancing the carbs using the individual idles screws.

Once they are rebalanced then recheck the mixture settings again; like we talked yesterday make small adjustments one at a time and then sit back and wait for a reaction. Maybe forget about having that sip of beer between adjustments; that may not be all that good of an idea, depending on how many adjustments you make? :dunno:

Dan.

Do you think it would be best to start from scratch with the mixture (adjustment procedure in service manual says all the way in and go 2.5 turns out on each and go from there) or tweak from the existing settings? Its great that you can just leave the manometer on while doing this and do everything at once.

One last thought :devil: because you’re using ATF in the meter; when you’ve got the carbs all set, crack the throttle hard. That’ll suck the manometer dry and well-ah you’ve just fogged the engine. LOL

Yes maybe I should fill the tubes with fogging oil! But the red colour definitely makes it easy to see. Many people also use 2 stroke oil in the tubes.

Thanks again.

I don’t think the mixture is all that far off in carbs 1 through 3; the fourth was a bit on the lean side and was definitely the one causing the slight misfire at idle. After we richened it up by the ¼ turn, the misfire disappeared.

So I would just start from where they are and play the juggling act between the mixture & idle screws.

Dan.

Here is a link to the Colortune system. Make sure you get the correct thread size for the application or you will be buying an adapter. This unit is very simple and takes all of the guess work out of tuning your air flow mixture.

color tune link

Art

Very cool! Might be something to consider if its not too expensive up here.