Attention Tahoe/Yukon owners !!

Lunker777

Hey everyone

My gf and I are in the market for a vehicle. We need a baby hauler/boat tower/general family vehicle. We are going from a Grand am & Sierra down to one vehicle.

I have my sights set on a Chev. Tahoe or a GMC Yukon. We are looking at the short wheel base. We drove a XL and the wife HATED it.

I just wanted any current or past owners to chime in with any advice they have regarding these trucks !

I know they arent a civic when it comes to the gas situation.... so you dont need to tell me how much fuel you had to put in haha

Any comments would be great ! Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Lunker777

I've been driving the older Tahoe and Suburbans (92-99 generation) for a number of years now so I don't have much relevant info for you. I would say that the weak link in that series are rear ends blowing up and front axle 4wd actuators giving up.

You may want to reconsider the going down to one vehicle idea. If you can park the Yukon/Tahoe and rely on a smaller vehicle most of the time, it could pay for itself in fuel savings. Your results may be different from ours but that is what we encountered.

You may want to reconsider the going down to one vehicle idea. If you can park the Yukon/Tahoe and rely on a smaller vehicle most of the time, it could pay for itself in fuel savings. Your results may be different from ours but that is what we encountered.

Well... with us paying close to $320 a month for two vehicles.... If we go to a Yukon/Tahoe.... that would come down to about $180.

Also, Maintenece, fuel, etc on two vehicles..... it would ad up. I have a truck for work which I forgot to mention.... so other then weekends for fishing, it will pretty well be the wifes truck.

If worse comes to worse.... I will buy a $1000 beater along with the truck to make up for conflicting schedueles.

Having one car is pretty well my only concern, along with the fuel haha But I guess we can make it work !

Thanks for the info so far guys

My bro has an '06 Yuke Denali XL and loves it. The only things that have gone on it are the rear A/C line (common) and the power steering hose had a bit of a leak. Not bad for 140k.

Yea, Everyone I have talked to said they are bullet proof !

Now.... as far as the gas mialge arguement, the 6.0L in the denali has a VERY good relationship with the gas pumps... I know that much ! haha

Stay away from the 6.0 if you can. It's too bad GM doesn't put the Duramax/Allison combo in them.

When I used to sell for GM I said the same thing. I would love to see a 6.6 duramax suburban !!!!! Something to compete with the diesel Excursion

As far as the 6.0.... I know they are a hog. BUT.... If your buying a Denali, gas prices most likely dont mean anything to you ! hahah

Im going to stick with the 5.3 over the 4.8.... I've heard its the better of the two for fuel milage

Yeah, that's my only gripe with the 6.0, it's a pig! lol!!!

1 MPG difference is hardly a pig.

12mpg city/17mph hwy 6.0l

13mpg city/18mpg hwy 5.3l

5.3l works harder to push the vehicle, hense uses almost as much gas as the 6.0l.

Bottom line is neither one are anything to right home about fuel wise and Yukons and Tahoes were not built for people on fuel budgets.

Owned a Yukon Denali and loved it well I had it, one tip get a good insurance policy with because there are a certain group of people who like them even more...

Edited by FUSION

lol fusion are you referring to how they get stolen,because my boss had a denali and it got stolen in burlington and they found it in a swamp/pond flipped on the reserve.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!!!

Anyone contemplating purchasing a full size GMC/Chevy/Cadillac suv really needs to take a trip to the six nations auto salvage yard in caladonia for an eye opener. One of the truly most PATHETIC things I have ever laid my eyes on in my life.

I own an 06' Denali and it's one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. No comparison in the comfort and hauling department. The thing tow's my 19 footer with ease. It has the 6.0 liter in it and I wouldn't change it. They are big however, but with kids and dogs in tow you need the room. I haven't had many issues with it (110k)knock on wood. The fuel situation isn't that bad as long as you keep your foot off the gas.lol But i swear it burns gas just sitting in the driveway. But if you want towing power and comfort for your family (safety to of course) don't look any farther than the yukon!

That's the big thing everyone tends to forget, KEEP YOUR FOOT OFF THE GAS PEDAL!!! Yes a big truck is a pig on fuel, BUT, they aren't too bad if you are easy on the throttle. Kinda like guys complaining how their boat burns lots of fuel, same guys running around at full throttle all day, what do you expect??

BIGGER VEHICLE = HIGHER FUEL CONSUMPTION

Learn to drive a truck.

First thing.If traffic is flowing smoothly,There shouldn't be the bumper on the car in front of you touching your's.It's a truck.

Second.You must find the speeds your truck is comfortable at.

Third.If you are using your brakes.you are driving your truck wrong.Let the tranny do it.