Winterizing 2Stroke 15 HP Mercury

Nemo

I may try to winterize my 1996 15hp Merc outboard this fall. Wondered if anyone had a sites/youtube videos that listed the steps or had any tips etc. about how they do it.

My understanding so far is;

1. Fill tank to almost full

2. Add fuel stabilizer and mix

3. Run motor for 10 mins

4. Pull gas line and let motor stop

5. Pull plugs and fog cylinders. Pull rope with engine off to coat piston rings with fogging material.

6. Drain lower unit oil and check oil for water (milky)

7. Replace lower unit oil.

8. Remove prop and check condition of shaft and remove any fidshing line etc.

I think I also need to replace my impeller. When should I do this in the order above and where is a good place to get the parts.

Also what kind of oil do I need for the lower unit? Do they have it at CTC?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Nemo

Sounds like you got er all. If it's pissing leave it alone, and I would grease the prop shaft and change the vent screw and drain screw gasgets as well. If your taking it off the boat, build a stand and store it upright. Crap always happens when you lay em down in the garage somewhere. Have fun.

I was under the belief that you fog a 2 stroke motor while it's running, ie, you spray the fogging oil mist into the air intake with the motor running at a bit more than idle. The engine will smoke like the QE2 and then die out. Do not attempt to restart the motor at this point, the complete internals are fogged, it's a 2 stroke.

I was under the belief that you fog a 2 stroke motor while it's running, ie, you spray the fogging oil mist into the air intake with the motor running at a bit more than idle. The engine will smoke like the QE2 and then die out. Do not attempt to restart the motor at this point, the complete internals are fogged, it's a 2 stroke.

Thats what i do.