Looking for a salmon/steelhead reel

Eazy

The reel will be used for casting hardware and occasional bottom bouncing, so smooth drag and casting features would be a nescesity......Used to buy the shimano product, but haven't bought any new reels for a while now of any manufactuer.

Looking at reviews it seems the Shimanos are still up there, but so are other makes such as the Pflueger president......also wouldn't like to totally break the bank either.

Any fellow anglers who have recently bought a reel for this application and are satisfied, feel free to offer me some advice.

I use a shimano stradic for the same techniques and it's been great. It's taken a beating and been submerged many times and still works like new. For a few $ less the symetre is a great real and very comparible to the stradic.

Well, after some consideration and research, I went with the Daiwa Whisker1600SS.....Thanks for the input guys.....Just wasn't quite sure what size so figured one size down from the largest would be good......165yrds of 12#.

Well, after some consideration and research, I went with the Daiwa Whisker1600SS.....Thanks for the input guys.....Just wasn't quite sure what size so figured one size down from the largest would be good......165yrds of 12#.

The 1600 is way too big. The 1300 is the one most steelheaders use.

1300 for sure if you're steelheading on a stream, I use a 1300 shore casting here for Browns with 8 lb test, but if my casting included pier fishing with chinooks on the menu I'd probably step up to the 1600 for the line capacity with heavier line 10 or 12 lb. , bigger diameter spool also gets you a few more feet on the cast.

1300 for sure if you're steelheading on a stream, I use a 1300 shore casting here for Browns with 8 lb test, but if my casting included pier fishing with chinooks on the menu I'd probably step up to the 1600 for the line capacity with heavier line 10 or 12 lb. , bigger diameter spool also gets you a few more feet on the cast.

Probably be looking for casting distances of about 50 yards or so with #3 or #4 vibraxes and some smaller cleos and such.......there are some good sized rivers up this way.

Ahhhhh Glen you need to just bite the bullet and start floating. your brother did and he'll never go back.

yup, touched a little of it last spring, with some success, but love the way they hammer the hardware!

Could not agree more on the Daiwa Whisker. No one has made a spinning reel with a better drag, including Shimano. 30 years later, it is still the best spinning reel ever made.

You can find 1300s on eBay now and then.

Backorderable right now at cabelas online!