charts ,kind of nf

lplp

I have a buddy of mine ,just got back into boating with a nice huge searay,, didnt come with any updated electronics,just a depth finder, he is looking into a laptop or something , i have a gps usb for laptop that i am going to give him that came with microsoft street and maps, i told him he could have that and see if he can get charts for his laptop or get a tablet, he doesnt want a fish finder kind of thing ,, just wondering what would be a good thing for him to get ,, any thoughts , i told him to go with laptop ,at least you can do other things with it ,for the kid and internet ,, and he can have that set up on dash and take home with him .. ??/

Yes he has a digital depth finder and that is about it. this is a 33 ft. searay..he is just setting it up and i told him he has all winter to figure it out ,.I already told him to check out radioworld..

How about a Android tablet <$299 with Navionics Bluecharts ($20).

The Ontario Lakes version has most of the lakes but check if he needs specific ones.

How about a Android tablet <$299 with Navionics Bluecharts ($20).

The Ontario Lakes version has most of the lakes but check if he needs specific ones.

I just got an ipad and downloaded the navionics charts as well. Its perfect for what I want it for...get a 3g model and a cheap data plan and it will track him as well. Like any tablet, it'll be multi functional.

Can you actually use the phones/tablets as a "GPS" on the water? Obviously the plug-in USB GPS is good, but aren't you severely limited with the cell phones/3G based stuff? I have Navionics on my cell phone, but never actually tried it on the water.

Personally, I'd have a real GPS just for safety reasons.

He'd have to be able to be able to mount the tablet/laptop somewhere. Hard enough piloting a boat that size with having to fumble around holding on to a tablet or laptop - the channels are pretty tight in some areas of the TS waterway.

The guy just bought a large, expensive boat, surely he has $1000-$1500+ to get a proper marine electronics/gps set-up.

He'd have to be able to be able to mount the tablet/laptop somewhere. Hard enough piloting a boat that size with having to fumble around holding on to a tablet or laptop - the channels are pretty tight in some areas of the TS waterway.

The guy just bought a large, expensive boat, surely he has $1000-$1500+ to get a proper marine electronics/gps set-up.

I actually just have Navionics for my cell phone (Android).

I'm too cheap for data but the phones gps is pretty damn good. It was way off on Ahmic but every other lake (Balsam, Gull, Scugog, seemed pretty accurate.

Wouldn't take much to make a clean velcro mount for the boat. Still waiting for a bluetooth transducer...:whistling: to complete the deal.

I actually just have Navionics for my cell phone (Android).

I'm too cheap for data but the phones gps is pretty damn good. It was way off on Ahmic but every other lake (Balsam, Gull, Scugog, seemed pretty accurate.

Wouldn't take much to make a clean velcro mount for the boat. Still waiting for a bluetooth transducer...:whistling: to complete the deal.

I have a handheld for my bassboat and have been looking at the navtronics for my phone, but this is a 33 foot cruiser with a significant draft that needs a fairly accurate depth and location reading.