any deep fried turkey recipe's out there

ecmilley

Definitely do it on the grass. Make sure you do a very thorough job of patting it dry. Put it in the oil very slowly. A Hockey stick through the eye of the hook of the turkey tray works good to keep you away from the hot oil. It turns out great and is moist but not greasy.

These are great even without injecting anything which is the only way I'm allowed to cook. FIL hates any spices. First put the frozen turkey in the pot and fill with water until the bird is underwater then take the bird out and mark the spot where the water line is. Dump water and wipe dry then fill with oil to mark. Thaw bird completely and hopefully you got a hanger with the cooker, this goes in the bird and lets you hook the bird securely. I have a 3 ft. gaff I use to hook the bird but you could attach a hook to a broomstick with hose clamps instead. Now get a good thermometer for the oil temp, start cooking between 350-375 F slowly lower the bird you will get a lot of boiling and frothing at the top. Once the bird is in crank up the heat to get back to temp then adjust the burner to maintain the temp range. Around 3 min/lb is a good time to check the temp of the thigh, have a large pan on hand to lay the bird in to check temp 180 F at the thickest part of the thigh is about right. Sometimes they're overdone and sometimes the thigh is reddish but the rest of the bird tastes great. Enjoy.