Woohoo welcome to the 90's

Rizzo

I am way behind the times when it comes to technology. My idea of a waypoint is lining up the willow tree on one shore with the brown boathouse on the other...good luck on a foggy day! This summer I discovered what a great tool a GPS can be. While navigating at night on a foreign lake, my buddies hand held unit got us where we needed to go. To rely on eyesight was impossible. No way could you see where channels were between islands. Anyways, after a lengthy search, and lots of input from folks here I have decided to go with the Lowrance Elite 5. Basically a money motivated decision as its a "lower" cost unit, but from what I've heard, a decent unit. Thanks to all for your input, and especially scugog who has answered all my rookie questions without frustration.

you won't be dissappointed. When I bought mine Jos at Angling Out fitters adjusted the factory settings to increase the sensitivity based on our discussions. You can see your jig go down the water column on it. His comment was you will be able to see the walleye hiding in the weeds. Its pretty darn close. Just food for thought when you set yours up

When I first got a gps for the boat, I used it to find my way back to launches on lakes I wasn't familiar with. Since every lake I fished at the time WAS new, I used it all the time. A newbie on a strange lake, its amazing how the shoreline looks the same unless you pay close attention. With the navionice chip, it allowed me to find the drop offs so much more easily. Saving trips and following weed lines allowed me to find them right away the next time I went out. Very valuable tool indeed! Congrats on your purchase!

Cheaters! :whistling: What did great fishermen from pre-tech days rely on?!

Just kidding! As a noob to fishing, my first 2 goals are...

1. Get a boat! and

2. Get a gps/fishfinder so I know where the hell I am going and how to get back! Oh, and finding some fish in between would be a big help!

Congrats on your great purchase! :thumbsup_anim: I'll revisit this post when I am ready to get one. Sounds like a good one!

Edited by Miracon

Tottal game changer. Enjoy

Thats what I'm hoping. When I first saw one of these in action I couldn't believe it. To know there's a hump from 20 feet up to 10 off to your right is huge. Should help me from plowing right into weedy points too as I'm trolling...having said that, I've banged a bunch of fish seconds before the lure plunges into the milfoil! Maybe I will keep that tactic, but at least now I will haver the choice to stay outside the weeds on irregular weed lines if I want too. Before it was ah crap, back in the weeds