need help from perch and crappie experts

the first week of may im headed to the parry sound region and need some help. I really am dying to go fishing and the only thing open are perch and crappie.

I have never targeted these species before. The lake im fishing I know pretty well and have caught perch around docks and rocky shoals.

i know i need to downsize the baits i use. but with ice out only for a week or 2 do I have to fish in deeper water? different structure?

Any advice would be great. Keep in mind i will be in a buddies 12ft aluminum with 9.9 and this time of year the water will still be freezing so i rather not have to go to far out from shore if i dont have to.

Thanks!

Cheers!

For both of these, i like to use a small jighead ( 1/16 or 1/32 ) with a pinhead minnow - same ones as used for ice fishing perch. You can also use a white plastic tail on the jig - but i find that i have better luck with the minnows

Don

Micro red and white tubjigs work well for me early spring. Might need a float depending on the area. If they are there and active you shouldn't have any problem filling some pails, small minnows work well when its slow.

Here's a few pics from last spring.

gallery_857_235_26225.jpg

gallery_857_235_65818.jpg

The one on the right here is 14 inches (PB for me....but I know they get bigger!)

gallery_857_235_8270.jpg

Just found this image on Bass Pro....these were deadly last year. I prefer the (01) Colour!

73488.jpg

Edited by Abberz

Crappie usually start hitting good here the second or third week of April, they will probably be running late this year with this cold weather. There are a lot of ways to fish for them, a simple bobber and spreader baited with minnows if you can use 2 hooks per line. We have used perch rigs also, it gives you two slightly different depths.

Small 1 1/2 or 2 inch tube baits, jigs and grubs, roadrunners and such will work. Never had much luck with red worms or nitecrawlers for crappie, they will work for perch. Dock areas, any wood in the water, places where weeds are starting to grow or where you see smaller baitfish are good areas to try.

A dark muddy bottom will warm quicker, it also might hold fish. I would be looking in shallower water(warmer) but back off to the first drop off if no action for crappie in there. Perch were a nuisance in Pointe Au Baril seemed like you couldn`t keep away from them, don`t now how it is in the lake you are fishing, later in the year though also.

Drifting or slow trolling with an electric motor works also, as slow as you can go, you are searching a larger area that way for them, just drag a small minnow on a spreader or perch rig, a small jig and grub and weave back and forth across edges of shallow and deeper water. If there are no reference points carry a marker bouy. Catch a fish and drop it in the water and fish that area harder.

:oops: I posted this in the wrong thread yesterday :blush:

Like my pal Jack sez..."it's me age...ya know" :wallbash:

Each spring is different for crappies as far as color of tubes is concerned but all white tubes or a small white twister tail on a 1/16 or 1/32 oz. jig under a slip float is good for starters...once you find the depth they will hit at, peg your float at that depth...try different color combos (pink/white, red/white, chartreuse, chart/white, green with black specks/yellow tentacles were hot in Rice Lake a couple of years ago) Keeping the bait moving slowly helps entice hits sometimes...

Small live/salted minnows are good but we found the Fin S Arkansas shiners worked as well or better than live ones...

Shallow back bays on the north or west shores of most lakes are usually the better spots in the spring...water warms up there earlier...