Local service group polluting

SRT8 smoker craft

Like the title says a local non-profit service group was repainting the gazebo that they fundraised the $$$ to build which is a very nice addition to the pond/lake but they were painting with a sprayer on a fairly windy day and a lot of paint was going into the water which they were doing nothing to control untill they were confronted by myself and another angler then they tried to push all the floating paint and solvents over to the out flow(by tying a pontoon boat on shore and reving the outboard) of the pond which dumps into a small stream that empties into a fairly large Lake erie trib.Now I have already called the M.O.E hotline and reported it but I don't think anything was done should I persue this further I took lots of pics and some video .I guess I kinda feel bad because they do a lot of good projects but this was totally a self promoting and selfish (They had big signs saying they were the group painting it )all they cared about was making their gazebo look good again and they defended there actions when confronted and told me they were cleaning it up (by pushing it to the outflow ) :wallbash: the damage they did in one afternoon to the shoreline around the gazebo and where they tied up the pontoon boat is just brutal and is were most of the predators bass,pike and turtles hunt their prey I just can't wrap my head around how they thought what they were doing was OK anyways here's a couple pics of what I saw at my favorite little lake to fish .

their precious gazebo kinda bad pic but you can see the paint floating around infront of the pontoon boat

031.jpg

the slick of paint

024.jpg

the outflow headed straight for lake Erie hard to see in the pic but the water had a light grey stain to it and the oil in water like shimmer on top from the paint

024.jpg

They knew they were doing bad because they used the pontoon boat to "stop" the bad.

I can't see how it is reasonable for them to think that the pontoon boat was an acceptable solution.

They must have thought you were stupid. They certainly did not think they had to take you seriously.

Did they have a permit to paint it? The city/region might be able to do something about it too (fine?). What "that" is I don't know. Can the damage be undone?

They knew they were doing bad because they used the pontoon boat to "stop" the bad.

I can't see how it is reasonable for them to think that the pontoon boat was an acceptable solution.

They must have thought you were stupid. They certainly did not think they had to take you seriously.

Did they have a permit to paint it? The city/region might be able to do something about it too (fine?). What "that" is I don't know. Can the damage be undone?

They didn't even know there was a stream flowing out of the lake :wallbash: I asked if they had a permit and the guys umed and ahed for a minute and then said yep we do I would think this would be considered "on water work" and would need MNR approval and a permit to use dangerous chemicals (varsol) around the water like that I will be keeping a close eye on it and see what the M.O.E has to say monday until then I hope this doesn't cause a fish kill off from the contaminants

oil paint is lethal!!!..im surprised they even found a 5 gallon pail of it...are you sure it was a metal can....the gov't is banning all oil paints as we know it....they do still have a little left for special purposes but most manufactures arnte even makin it anymore...

Edited by workwear

Oil based paint isn't banned...you can still buy it at Lowes and home depot. You are right that was oil based they used. I can tell just by looking at the cans. I The company volunteered their time so they just rushed with what appears to be a solid (oil based)stain. Not to much that can be done about it now thou. I cant belive they stained or painted with a sprayer..Thats just nuts.. :wallbash:

Edited by tb4me

.......for several types of material spills, etc., the "Solution is Dilution". Hahaha

It is what it is, done now. I personally feel that once you brought it to their attention, they started to deal with it. Short of thousands of dollars worth of 'Oil Only' absorbing pads and socks, they used the Dilution Solution.

They'll think before the next time.

edited for spelling

Edited by nofish4me

Missed this one....

Here's a "simplified" reporting guide.

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@ene/@resources/documents/resource/std01_079165.pdf

You were right to call the MOE-Spills Action Center and they will investigate, to a certain extent. Did they give you a Reference #? call them back, quote the ref# and get a follow-up. Ask them which Officer from which office was assigned to this job and you can contact his/her office and send the photos.

The 100L exemption is for reporting motor vehicle spill only and the laws then default to the highway control act. The exemption only exists if the spill doesnt enter a waterway and is cleaned up immediately. Otherwise the owner of the spill or the user of the spill must report it

In this situation the service group have caused contamination "beyond the normal course of events and it causes or is likely to cause an adverse effect". They are legally obliged to report the spill and contain it immediately among other things.

At the very least this service group will get a scare and hopefully learn to use their equipment/products properly and to mitigate any overspray. It's a silly mistake on their part, sounds innocent to me, but is ignorant none-the-less. They should have not done it in the first place.

Good on you for doing something about it... people need to be educated on their work habits and know that they can be held liable for damages.

Edited by Rod Caster

Wondered when you were gonna chip in on this one Chad - I was curious myself about the legalities. Great presentation of the facts my friend!

Michael

Thanks Mike.

Even though there are legalities for pretty much every spill you can think of, the real problem is the lack of reporting, lack of proper response by the spiller and The Ministry's inaction (lack of resources maybe) when it comes to placing clean-up orders. I still see many situations where the police and fire dept will not report a road spill and even lie about it ever happening to the media (paperwork? more important things?), even though it is often times their responsibility as first responders. In my opinion they SHOULD call in the spills because the officers often get "Paid Duty" job$ during road side clean-ups... it's really in their interest...beyond the fact that they are legally compelled to do it. Insurance companies or the polluter will often try the same thing because they can get away with it and the MOE is either completely unaware or don't bother sending a clean-up order. Some time the MOE catches them...but not always.

The public (like the OP) actually have a lot of power in spill situations because they can be the "eyes and ears" for the MOE by calling the Spills Action Center and giving as much information as possible to the responding agent. 1800-268-6060. If you tell the MOE who spilled something, when, where and with photos, especially if it's big...you can bet that person/company will get a suprise visit!smile.gif

Thanks for the info RC. I have a appointment with the local newspaper this afternoon and I am going to suggest they run the story as a enviromental awareness peice rather than rather than bashing the service group. their intentions were innocent, they just wanted to paint their gazebo. unfortunately they didn't consider the damage they were doing until it was brought to there attention. they did make an atempt to clean it even if it was to little to late. thanks for all the responces. I would love to see them get a eye opener but I don't think the MOE did anything so mabye the newspaper article will make them think twice next time they do something with paint and chemicals near water.

Good work Shawn. If that's where I think it is, they have a kid's derby or two every year.

Many people just don't think when it comes to our waterways. It's good that they do quite a few projects for the community, and, that they are a not for profit group. However, even as just an environmental "heads up story" for public awareness, you are doing a good thing.