Very important event October 16th!

Rattletrap2

Hey folks!

I think this topic is very fishing related as it has the potential to affect many of the rivers we hold near and dear.

As you may have heard, a Multi-Billion dollar Boston based hedge fund is behind a company called "The Highland Group" that is proposing to dig a quarry up our way that will be over 200 feet deep (Deeper than Niagara Falls)and consume over 2,300 acres of the best farm land imaginable!They also have their eye on another 5,000 acres that won't be hard to obtain once they destroy the other 2,300!

They secretly bought up peoples farms under the pretence that they would farm potatoes on this land. Not so!

If this project goes ahead, it could effect the source waters of this whole area including the beginnings of 5 major rivers including The Saugeen, Pine, Nottawasaga, & Credit rivers. They plan to pump over 600,000,000 litres of water a day. The aggregate is destined for the US and China via rail to the shipping port in Owen Sound! They plan to blast 6 days a week with over 7,200 trucks per year hauling this stuff! It would be the largest in Canada and second largest in North America.

This kind of thing disgusts me!

There is a planned event on October 16th to raise awareness and funds to continue the fight. We cannot just sit idle while they destroy this planet!

My link

Over 70 of Canada's top chefs will volunteer to prepare food from our land and serve it to as many people as possible. The event will take place on the farms that did not sell out, and that surround this proposed site.

All they ask, is for a donation of whatever you can afford.

Please do what you can to help out. It will effect a lot more than the people of this area!

Thanks!

My link

Sorry you missed out on the windfall.

???What windfall are you talking about???

Are you talking about the farmers that sold their land OR are you talking about the one time winfall/cash out for selling out future generations? Because that is basically what the government did and if the land sellers knew about it that is what they did too.

It is an ecologically important piece of geology. The limestone filters the water before it makes its way back to the stream/lake/drinking well.

So what windfall are you talking about?

Gord,

So far only the Green party has come forward and said hey oppose this. The others are sitting on the fence! There is suposed to be a message delivered by the Liberal party today.

We shall see what they say!

Linda Jeffery (MNR) blew off the Mayor of Melancthon with a very flippant response, so I wouldn't expect much from her.

I remember Fearless Fred on the Edge (cfny) talking about this a few weeks ago. He is against it.

It is election time. Did anyone create an online petition? (sometimes they are good) I and a lot of other people that are against it might be pre-occupied with other things but could sign an online petition.

Edited by whitbyboatguy

I remember Fearless Fred on the Edge (cfny) talking about this a few weeks ago. He is against it.

It is election time. Did anyone create an online petition? (sometimes they are good) I and a lot of other people that are against it might be pre-occupied with other things but could sign an online petition.

This is a link to print out a petition that must be signed and returned to David Tilson's (Federal MPP) office. I know it is not the same as an online version, but if you guys could help out by printing this out and collecting some signatures, I would appreciate it.

The Provincial Government has allowed for an Environmental Assessment, but we need the Feds to do the same and work together.My link