newbie brook / rainbow trout fishing questions

adolson

So, I've been reading up on fishing for trout, mostly brook trout, which is the next species I'd like to try targeting. Luckily, the most reliable local fishing partner I have (my cousin) also wants to try for trout. Well, we've tried for aurora trout several times at Liberty Lake, unsuccessfully. The closest we came there was him losing one after a short 20-30 second fight, and for all we know, it was a sucker or a turtle or more likely, a stickerel that put up a bit of a fight (I'd believe that before I believe auroras exist!).

I know a lot more today about trout fishing than I did a week ago, but I have a few questions still.

There are a few lakes around here that are either stocked with brookies or rainbows, or they occur naturally. Is there much of a difference in fishing tactics/gear when fishing stocked versus natural? There is also a nearby lake that is stocked with splake, and there are supposed to be lakers in Anima-Nipissing, but I am not going after those just yet.

If I use spoons, should I remove treble hooks and put on singles?

I keep reading you should use 4 or 6lb mono line. I have 12lb test green braid on my reel right now, but the package says 6lb diameter (0.007"). The question should be obvious: is this line OK, or should I really buy some clear mono? Since I currently only have one spool for my reel, I'd probably have to just buy a small and cheap combo, specific for trouting (which I don't mind doing, just lacking funds at the moment, especially with Christmas approaching), or a second spool (if possible). And if I have to buy another rod specifically for trout, would it make sense to go for a fly rod instead of another spinning rod? I would like to get into it (looks really relaxing), but again, money.

The lakes I am going to are pretty small. I don't really know how to choose locations on any lake, big or small, so I typically troll them and then cast a while once I get one. For trout, I don't want to troll (I tried that in the rainbow-stocked lake, got nothing, and in Liberty we had that one on). I thought about leaving the trolling motor in the car and just use a paddle. Would the thrust and splashing of a paddle spook the fish more or less than a slow trolling motor, fully submerged, or does it not matter much once you anchor in a spot and then cast?

Sorry I have so many questions. Time is running out on Liberty Lake, and soon there will be snow and ice (*shudder*), so I just want to be make sure I'm not accidentally messing up my chances to hook, or wasting my money. I'm grateful for any and all advice.

Never been an anchor person always trolled for stocked trout, stealth approach is always better especially if they're shallow, so electric motor ideal, or paddle( correctly) smoothly no splashing no banging on side of boat or canoe should be one smooth fluid motion, I've also used outboards with great success also, either long lining or small planer boards help,

Have always liked fishing with very light line and ultra light rods, low visibility line is the key, so is it classic clear trout waters or dark stained water, I find the stained lakes make for more beautifully dark colored fish,

Good luck,

Btw, the aurora is not a myth, you'll see one day, the time and effort will be worth it

Dana, you really need a confidence booster. Here's what you're gunna do. Don't go spending money on more gear that you're not sure about. Keep what you have now, the braid will be fine. You'll need to find yourself a small quiet lake where you KNOW there are specks. Get yourself some worms, they don't have to be big. If you don't already have spoons, find yourself a few cheap spoons in various colours in the 2.5" to 4" range. You'll need a few snap swivels and some hooks in the 2-8 size range. Remove the treble from your spoons and attach a spoon using a snap swivel directly to your braid. Attach an 18" length of mono to the spoon and then a single hook at the end. Bait that with a piece of worm.

I find it better to attach the spoon to the mainline backwards, fat end closest to the reel. Get out there and troll slowly. You can use a motor or paddle but the motor will give you more time to concentrate on your presentation. Keep a fair amount of line out...100' plus. You'll catch them that way and once you do, then you can start experimenting.

Good luck and let's hear how you do.

To go on the cheap for your line Dana run a tiny barrel swivel with 30" of floro 4 lb test to your lure. In the lakes your fishing thats what I do from my 8 lb braid. I like to paddle one guy trolling (paddler) bow man casting to cover. Paddling gives a nice erratic motion to the lure. And Roy's idea is a good one for trolling and is also the way I ice fish for them (minus the trolling part)

Edited by Musky or Specks

Yup...keep it simple. Take Roy's advice. Watch your lure in the water before you let all your line out....that way you can set your speed to get the optimum action, and you will have a visual of what it's doing.....I find that helps.

As for snow and ice coming....get ready! Lots of action under the ice to be had thumbsup_anim.gif

What are you doing this saturday? I may be able to meet you halfway and we can try a spec lake together. I've got my own sportspal/trolling motor now and some good techniques for you to try. I'm on-call, so some cell phone reception is required but most places near temagami have at least some signal.

Roy's advice is good.... specs love flash and they love worms.

Dana, you really need a confidence booster. Here's what you're gunna do. Don't go spending money on more gear that you're not sure about. Keep what you have now, the braid will be fine. You'll need to find yourself a small quiet lake where you KNOW there are specks. Get yourself some worms, they don't have to be big. If you don't already have spoons, find yourself a few cheap spoons in various colours in the 2.5" to 4" range. You'll need a few snap swivels and some hooks in the 2-8 size range. Remove the treble from your spoons and attach a spoon using a snap swivel directly to your braid. Attach an 18" length of mono to the spoon and then a single hook at the end. Bait that with a piece of worm.

I find it better to attach the spoon to the mainline backwards, fat end closest to the reel. Get out there and troll slowly. You can use a motor or paddle but the motor will give you more time to concentrate on your presentation. Keep a fair amount of line out...100' plus. You'll catch them that way and once you do, then you can start experimenting.

Good luck and let's hear how you do.

That's exactly what I was doing at Liberty Lake, as another guy there suggested it. I was using a tiny Williams Wobbler as the flasher. My uncle's suggestion was just a hook, a worm, and a big splitshot a couple feet up the line, and that's what my cousin used when he hooked into one.

I can try it again, different spoon, and with better (I hope) hooks (Kamakazi 1, 2, and 4 I believe I have in my kit).

I wanted to try some of my spinners. I heard those actually can catch fish. In fact, in some cases, it's the only lure you need!

I've got worms in the fridge, ready to go.

To go on the cheap for your line Dana run a tiny barrel swivel with 30" of floro 4 lb test to your lure. In the lakes your fishing thats what I do from my 8 lb braid. I like to paddle one guy trolling (paddler) bow man casting to cover. Paddling gives a nice erratic motion to the lure. And Roy's idea is a good one for trolling and is also the way I ice fish for them (minus the trolling part)

That's a good idea, and I thought of it when I was brushing my teeth before bed.. Was too tired to edit my post, haha. And thanks so much for all your help in PMs!

What are you doing this saturday? I may be able to meet you halfway and we can try a spec lake together. I've got my own sportspal/trolling motor now and some good techniques for you to try. I'm on-call, so some cell phone reception is required but most places near temagami have at least some signal.

Sweet, that would be cool.. But I don't know what's up yet - I invited my cousin to go last night, but he hasn't got back to me. If he wants to fish, it'd be Saturday, since he's usually tied up on Sundays. I will let you know.

Have you caught an aurora? Liberty Lake is kinda half-way... Don't know about the cell signal, though. It's a good drive down Red Squirrel Rd. Supposedly you have to be there real early to catch anything though.

I havent' been to Liberty yet although it's on my list of things to do. Definitly no signal down Red Squirrel, but I know a few lakes that are closer off the highway that I KNOW have specs (watched the MNR stock them this year) which I can get to with my truck (your welcome to a seat for the ride in). Send me a PM tonight if you can go tomorrow and we can figure things out from there.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I would recommend trolling despite not wanting to do it. Minus periods were brook trout are rather aggressive, I'd say 90% of my brookies come on the troll.

As for line, don't think too much. Plain ol' 8lb mono will suffice. I'm sure your braid is fine. Tying a leader of something at the end could be worthwhile.

For tackle, I typically troll a spoon such as a Doctor or a Williams Wabler. Usually I remove the treble and put on a single snelled hook (with a worm or minnow) about 4-6 inches behind the spoon. It's a great way to cover water and has never failed me. Minus a few days in spring and a few days in fall I seldom catch as many fish casting the shallows.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

How deep is your rig getting when you're trolling, Dana? Maybe throw a bit of weight in front of the spoon....clip on a 3 way swivel where yo uare adding in the line the spoon is on...and tack on some weight to hang down from the 3rd ring.

As for spinners....yes they work! Small Panther Martin's would get my vote. Just curious, have you talked to Jim, at Gramp's? He is a great guy to talk about this stuff with

Edited by johnnyb

Thanks for the additional input, guys.

I didn't plan to troll around because the three lakes I've been at are all pretty small, and I thought casting into shore would be a good option to try. I like trolling, just it seems that's all I ever do and I don't want to be spooking fish in the small lakes.

How deep is your rig getting when you're trolling, Dana? Maybe throw a bit of weight in front of the spoon....clip on a 3 way swivel where yo uare adding in the line the spoon is on...and tack on some weight to hang down from the 3rd ring.

Not real sure how deep they were getting. I have one of these things, I don't know what they're called, but it has a plastic piece and then several metal segments and a bunch of willow spinners on it. I tried that for a little bit one time as a guy at Liberty recommended it. I don't even remember where or when I got it or if I ever used it in my life, but he was saying it was supposed to attract trout and good for trolling. Needless to say, it also didn't work. But then again, maybe all the auroras at Liberty were sleeping when I was there.

As for spinners....yes they work! Small Panther Martin's would get my vote. Just curious, have you talked to Jim, at Gramp's? He is a great guy to talk about this stuff with

I caught the monster in my avatar on my little Panther Martin!

Who is Jim, and where is Gramps? :dunno:

First of all.....use very fine clear mono. I use 2 to 4 lb clear mono for brook trout on a very light but very fast 6 to 7 foot rod. Fill the spool right to 1/8 of an inch from the lip and even more if possible. I like Berkley Sensation "clear". If your tension is set right, the line will not break.

When bait fishing, I only put a small hook on the end of the line. A size 8 Gamakatsu Octopus hook is perfect. No weight is needed or other hardware on the line. The very fine line alows good casting distance unless it's windy. For bait I use the head of a large nightcrawler cut off about 1/3 to 1/2 from the dark tip of the worm. The rest of the worm....I cut it into 2 or 3 pieces and throw the pieces into the water around my canoe. Thread the hook through the until you reach about 1/2 way and then expose the point of the hook while pushing the worm up over the knot on your line. The bait will look like a leach. It will be straight and the tip of the worm will move freely.

At this time of the year, you will find brook trout in 10 to 20 feet of water near the mouths of creeks, streams or small rivers that flow into a lake. Do not anchor immediately in front of the mouth of the stream but off to the side....you don't want to lower your anchor on top of the fish.

Keep noise to a minimum and cast towards the mouth of the stream. Leave the bail open and pull off line from the spool while your bait is slowly sinking to the bottom. You will see the floating mono moving on the surface of the water. When the worm reaches bottom, the line will stop moving. Leave the worm on bottom for a few seconds and then reel in the slack line. Next step is to lift the rod tip about 12 inches. This will lift the bait off the bottom. Let the bait slowly go back to the bottom and repeat. Keep repeating until the bait is on the bottom under your boat or canoe. Slowly reel in the bait and start over again. If you don't get a bite, cast a bit left or right of the first cast. If you don't get a bite after 4 or 5 casts, go to another location.

For casting, I like a size 1 or 2 Panther Martin. Either the silver blade and yellow body or the black blade and orange body depending if it's sunny or cloudy. I also like to use small minnow baits. The lure that works best for me is the Original floating 9 cm Rapala in silver with black back. For fishing in deeper water, the 5 cm Shad Rap in silver with black back works just as well. Both lures are great for trolling.

For very slow trolling or drifting (it must be very slow), I like to use a 3 inch Lake Clear wobbler that is silver on one side and brass on the other side. The wobbler is set a good 30 inches in front of a baited hook that is baited the way that I mentioned above. Again....no added weight to the line.

When using lures that tend to twist the line (spinners or wobblers) I use the smallest black swivel I can find. Since the swivel is tiny, it must be the best you can find. Sampo makes about the best swivels. They are also the most expensive. They cost as much as a lure.