Northern Pike Fishing South Of Minaki

rufus

At the end of August I went Northern Pike fishing with my brother-in-law.

Now, my brother-in-law only ever fishes for pike and smallmouth bass. That is because he only ever fishes with one lure - a #3 Mepps spinner - which means he is pretty much limited to fishing in shallow water. So, if the smallies are deep - then we are pike fishing!

We caught lots of small pike - quite a bit smaller than what had previously been the average size in the area. We also caught a few good ones and my brother-in-law caught his biggest pike to date - his personal best. It was really too big for his equipment as you will see in the video but we did manage to net it.

He was so excited by his catch that he was inspired to compose a song about pike fishing - which is used in this video and which is why it took a couple of weeks to get the video up Gonefishing.gif

<center><object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BErmKA7wXE?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BErmKA7wXE?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BErmKA7wXE?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object></center>

Edited by NWO Fishing

Very nice pike! I find it hilarious that he only uses one lure - but I'm glad it's not just a pickerel rig like my friend, heh.

I never catch anything on my Mepps #3..

Did ya notice the old school back wind Dara? NO DRAG. :worthy::worthy:

Thats an old rod aswell. My pop was going to throw one of them away,til I snatched it from the trash. :wallbash:

Edited by Misfish

Did ya notice the old school back wind Dara? NO DRAG. :worthy::worthy:

Thats an old rod aswell. My pop was going to throw one of them away,til I snatched it from the trash. :wallbash:

Yeah, it is hilarious alright. I think he used the reel for catching tiny trout in the Yukon and it probably has 6 lb test on it. The rod he is using was an old one that I got when an elderly relative died. I gave it to him because it was still better than his own light action rod!

Y'know if I was forced to use just one lure, a #3 Mepps wouldn't be a bad choice. :)

Cool song, your bro in law seems like a pretty interesting dude.

That is true. The #3 Mepps catches walleye too when shallow against the shore.... where he fishes. If you could only have one lure it is not a bad choice thumbsup_anim.gif