Some Tips For Largies?

rufus

I am thinking of trying to target largies where I usually fish of the Winnipeg River north of Kenora. They are not a species that are listed too be here and I have never caught one but over the years I have seen pictures of largemouths that tourists have caugght in the area.

The area is mostly rocky and deep - typical shield country with a few small shallow bays.

Anybody have any tips of where I should look and what I should use for lures?

Thanks, we don't have much for docks, overhanging trees, and laydown trees - the water fluctuates 8 feet in a season here. I will try spinners in the weeds for sure.

Do largies ever get deeper than shallow weedy bays or is that pretty much where they like to hang out?

Sure do, as Jimmer touched on above.

With out seeing the water you are talking about I would start with a search bait, something you can cover various parts of the water column, I'd probably say a spinnerbait or crank bait.

Look for weedbeds, especially isolated ones that are surrounded by hard bottom and no weeds. There is a good chance any largies will be sitting in or on the edge of these weedbeds. Once you find one, slow down and try some of the baits mentioned in the above posts.

Another area I like to fish is stump/wood feilds on shield lakes. Hit those early morning with a topwater(frog, popper etc)until the sun gets up high.

Good Luck

Deep water largemouth are tough to figure out .I would start off throwing cranks, big cranks! Probably a BD6/7 in some sort of chartreuse variety. Banging it off bottom, you're bound to get a hit. if that's not working, I would start throwing a shallower crank like a SPRO little John or fat John 60. These will be better for schooling fish if there are no big boys hanging out below. Also, you can't go wrong with a spinnerbait. If you're moving back into the bays, any Texas rigged plastic, or top water frog should get the job done. Font forget the transition areas between the bays and the river. These can be money spots. If the current is in your favor drop a wacky weighted senko down right on the break, especially If there are weeds.

I live in Northern Ontario in shield country too. All the suggestions above will work. Look for the weed infested shallows and use a surface lure. The ols Moss Boss works well for me. Often I can find a mid lake reef with weed growth to the surface. This ideal Largemouth habitat too.

muddler