Head Lake, north of Balsam

Dave Bailey

I've heard that Head Lake is a great bass fishery, never been on it myself. But I was thinking that it might make a good venue for the Gals 'n' Pals tournament, a lot of our participants have smaller boats and don't feel comfortable on larger lakes like Couchiching or Simcoe. I took a virtual drive-by on the computer, and the launch parking area off Monck Rd. seems adequate, especially with the seemingly available grassy verge on the east side. I assume the launch is free too, if it isn't that's probably no big deal.

So could any of you experts give some input on this? We would need parking for at least 30 vehicles, just in case a lot more show up than normal (our largest turnout ever at Haliburton was 33).

NOTE: I am NOT talking about the Head Lake in the town of Haliburton, but the one north of Balsam Lake and west of Norland.

Across the street theres an inn with a restaurant, from what I remember. If its the same owners that I spoke to way back when. Its worth a shot to ask them. They were very polite and helpfull to me. I recall a floating dock as well.

I never did fish that lake, but I did go to another just north of itwhistling.gif The Bass fishing was fantastic. Pm me for info if you like

Lots of shoals and rocks on that lake. Make sure you go slow and know where your going. The launch has lots of parking but not sure if 30 vehicles and trailers will be enough. Launching, you will have to have 4x4 as it is sandy and soft there and you will need to go out a fair bit to get boats off of the trailers, especially if the water level is low.

Rob C

The launch is a bit steep, but not bad...parking for maybe 10 vehicles at the top, if I recall. When I went, there were a few vehicles parked just using the beach....but if the tourney started early and you all parked in nice and tight, it would likely be fine for 6 or 7 teams.

I keep wanting to do this tourny with the wife....by next year our daughter will be 2 and a half....and Head lake is super close to the in-law's cottage....might just work out nicely. I'll be keeping tabs on it :D

good timing...I was just there yesterday. They don't let you park at the top of the hill anymore (there was only room for a few vehicles there anyways). Now you have to park across the street in the grassy field but no way you'd get 30 vehicles in there...not to mention all the others that choose to fish that day).Lake was quite busy yesterday and the parking was full...my guess was maybe 15-20 vehicles...sorry didn't count!

Make sure you take lots of Props with you. Very poor lake to have a tourney. Very little parking, you can't park at the launch. Maybe enough room for 10 vehicles across the road as Rizzo said. Balsam would be a better choice. Head is to small a lake for a tourney plus Head is a float plane airport.

Edited by Fish Farmer

plus Head is a float plane airport

...no kidding! Between the 20 boats (or so) out there and the non-stop planes taking off and landing it was like Grand Central Station out there! I go to Head L. once or twice a year but I've never seen it like yesterday

Make sure you take lots of Props with you. Very poor lake to have a tourney. Very little parking, you can't park at the launch. Maybe enough room for 10 vehicles across the road as Rizzo said. Balsam would be a better choice. Head is to small a lake for a tourney plus Head is a float plane airport.

I agree FF, Balsam would be a great lake for a tourney and you could park and launch at the PP.

Rob C

I agree FF, Balsam would be a great lake for a tourney and you could park and launch at the PP.

Rob C

You can if you can afford it, but I can't. I tried to set one up there once before, they wanted a few hundred bucks for liability insurance or something and they wanted me to pay employees for parking control and other stuff. Don't remember much detail other than my mind saying 'No way!' I figured I would need at least thirty boats to break even, we usually get about half that. I always hope and plan for more, but you never know how many you will have until blast-off.