Naphtha quality????

Tootsie II

Over the lasy year or so my fishing partner have been having a problem getting our three burner Guide Series Coleman stove to burn properly. We get a tremendous amount of sooting and orange un-pressurized flame instead of the bright steady blue flame that we used to get. Last year I installed a new generator but we still have the same problem. My Stepson who is in the Canadian army says they have the same problem and attribute it to the pooling of unvapourized fuel in the piping ( ie: flooding).

My question is: Does anyone else have the same problem and do you know if the naphtha manufacturers have also started adding "bloody" ethanol to their product. You probably get a feeling of what I think about ethanol-gas mix. Any comments or help would be most welcome.

Also, these stoves are sold in the U.S. as being dual fuel, the second fuel being gasoline. I was wondering if using a high octane gas would make a difference and be safe.

Edited by Tootsie II

Gasoline in a stove????? I don't really know much about burning naptha other than I remember my parents using it when we went camping as a kid back in the 60's. I don't know if I would ever feel comfortable using regular gas in a stove system.

Nope, don't use gas

Nope, they do not add Ethanol to it

I sell chemicals for a living

I would start by cleaning out all the pipes and burners, my guess would be that they are clogged with rust (burners) or have spider webs in the pipes..... just a guess

If you have a gasoline compatable stove your supposed to use gasoline with the lowest octane rating. I am not sure what effect ethanol would have on it. I used to have a multi fuel stove that would burn everything from diesle, naptha, gasoline, jet fuel etc.... It got ran over by a truck. :(

Edited by jedimaster

Are you getting enough pressure in the tank when you pump ? I just resurrected a super old brass tank Coleman and it fired up fine, blue flame and all, just needed to have the pump leather lubed and reconditioned which is easy peasy. Same generator and pump.

I've never used a dual fuel, do you need to swap anything out when going from white gas to auto ? A gurgling sound will tell you the fuel has condensed in the tube and I usually just tip it out to drain.

I burn Regular U/L in mine all the time and it's not a dual fuel.. it's about 40 years old... just gets my pots "smokey" with a suit on them..

Regular U'L is less volatile than Naptha ( white gas)

I've had the "orange" flame and spitting a few times but.. nothing a pipe cleaner didn't fix.

Randy

:canadian: