Downrigging rod/reel combo

castgame

My dad downrigs mostly on Owen Sound but the old bugger needs new rods and reels and won't give up the ones he's got. Right now he's running the ones he got from Walker Downriggers, which are a nice configuration but the equipment itself is less than top-notch quality. I want to get him a nice rod and reel combo similar to the Walker because he likes the reel mounted on the underside of the rod, with the eyes down.

Anyone know of a good option? He likes Shimano, so if they've got a fitting product, that'd be best. But anything if you know of it would be a big help.

My dad downrigs mostly on Owen Sound but the old bugger needs new rods and reels and won't give up the ones he's got. Right now he's running the ones he got from Walker Downriggers, which are a nice configuration but the equipment itself is less than top-notch quality. I want to get him a nice rod and reel combo similar to the Walker because he likes the reel mounted on the underside of the rod, with the eyes down.

Anyone know of a good option? He likes Shimano, so if they've got a fitting product, that'd be best. But anything if you know of it would be a big help.

If he's got that Walker that I'm thinking about, the level wind that mounts on the underside of the rod that's going to be virtually impossible to duplicate as it was a very unique design and configuration. If you really want to stick with an underslung reel there is always the option to go with a nice mooching reel which works well on downriggers or I've often thought that those larger baitrunner drag spinning reels that the carp guys use with the dual drag system could make a decent downrigger reel for those that really have an aversion to level wind systems. Maybe look at one of those in a size that would hold 200 plus yards of 17 lb. test.

There is another board that many guys who fish Lake Ontario post on. There are always combos that are listed, many top end but reasonably priced. I think during the off season there will be a lot of Charter Captains that will be looking to get rid of their current set ups to make room for next year's new products.

There is another board that many guys who fish Lake Ontario post on. There are always combos that are listed, many top end but reasonably priced. I think during the off season there will be a lot of Charter Captains that will be looking to get rid of their current set ups to make room for next year's new products.

agree

Very good advice.

thanks, that's very good advice. can you provide a link to this "other board" or is it some sort of shady secret? :ninja: