My Reviews on GoPro and Other Brands

Aaron Shirley

I have been doing a bit of research for underwater consumer compact video cameras that anyone here looking should consider so that they get the best camera for their needs and budget.

I have been doing research on cameras similar to the GoPro since I have been using a GoPro the past year and not happy with the results. So far, my conclusion is that the GoPro is my least favourite. The fish eye lens has severe chromatic abberation causing poor picture quality deep around the edges. That combined with the proprietary mounting system and poor audio is why I rate this camera lower than others. To note; most do not use audio on this cam, just video. Also to note, many video editing software suites do not accept the GoPro codec files and need to be converted first which is very time consuming. The newest edit software should work. The cost of the proprietary mounts are also very expensive compared to standard 1/4 20 mounts, although a savy individual can buy a GoPro tripod adapter on ebay and get any standard mount they wish for cheap (I got a suction cup mount that is very tough for $5. on ebay shipped to my door). It has it's benefits, such as waterproof to 120 feet, and it works well on the chest mount and has terrific FOV (field of view). Other than the severe chromatic abberation and poor audio, the overall picture quality is good, mostly in the middle of the frame. Battery life is approx 3 hours and comes with a built-in rechargeable battery. If an angler can deal with the few flaws of the GoPro, it can be a pretty neat little camera for fishing applications.

The ContourHD is in the same category as the GoPro, but it looks much better. It has a more standard wide angle lens without the severe chromatic abberation and distortion found in the GoPro, and is better quality. It's also smoother images than the GoPro for action shots like fishing. Also, with the waterproof case, it is waterproof to 180 feet and is super tough like a GoPro. I heard the waterproof case has standard 1/4 20 threading on the bottom, but that is not confirmed on their website. One really cool thing is that the front of the lens turns to accomodate odd mounting situations and still have upright video. It also has a laser to centre your shots. It's elongated in shape (like a tube) rather than flat, so not as good for chest mounted applications. It is geared more toward divers and helmet cam applications, etc, but is perfect for fishing. One disadvantage for me is that it uses micro SD cards, as I have several standard 32GB class 10 cards already. Also, it has proprietary mounting system like a GoPro that costs more money. If the $40. waterproof case does in fact have 1/4 20 threading on the bottom, then you can use any mount or tripod with the Contour and save or get a tripod adapter. Lists for $250. Waterproof case is $40. The battery is rechargeable and lasts for 2-3 hours, and extra batteries are $30. File codec works on most editing software from what I understand. I haven't had a chance to try this camera out yet, so even though the guy I talked to said it was amazing quality and loved it for dives, I would like to see the footage first hand. It is an unknown for me at this point, but I'm leaning toward getting one next year.

The waterproof pocket video cams are decent picture quality, but not quite as good as the GoPro or Contour (barely noticeable to most). They are limited to 10 feet in depth underwater. The benefits are lower cost, cheap batteries on ebay and standard 1/4 20 threading for any inexpensive mounts. Most have decent audio and accept standard SD cards. Drawbacks are only waterproof to 10 feet, and Kodak wide angle lens attachment (or fish eye if you don't mind lens distortion) is about $30. and attaches with a magnet, so it will fall off if knocked hard or in rough water. Barreries are rechargeable and last approx 1 hour, so extra batteries are needed, luckily they are cheap on ebay. File codec works on most editing software from what I understand and experienced.

There are many different consumer underwater video cams available now which is awesome, and hopefully more will come out. The success of the GoPro with heavy marketing has triggered other manufacturers to take note. The nice thing is, these things will only get better and improve. They range from $60 to $500 with various packages at various price points, allowing consumers and more professional use alike that isn't huge money. The pro underwater cameras or camera housings are thousands of dollars.

All the consumer underwater cameras work poorly in low light. All HD video takes a long time to upload to the internet as well. These are all compact consumer underwater video cameras discussed here. All devices have models up to 1080p HD. You need a good computer to handle any HD editing and smooth playback.

Right now I am using the Kodak PlaySport because the quality is good, easy to use, cost is low and the batteries are cheap. I have 16 hours of battery power for $80 from ebay (authentic Kodak OEM batteries for $6.30 each shipped to my door) :) I absolutely love the PlaySport for an inexpensive little camera, but the wide angle lens adapter falls off in rough water. I am going to try and put a small bead of silicone where it attaches by magnet as a workaround and hope that solves the issue. I would like to get a higher quality underwater camera that can go deep, but I'm going to wait a bit and see what comes out that would suit my applications best. I'm leaning toward the Contour, but right now I don't like that I would have to spend more money on micro class 6 or 10 SD cards which is a must for the best quality. I have a bunch of standard size 32GB class 10 cards now. So in the meantime, I'll use the PlaySport for up to 10 feet down, and the GoPro for deeper water or quick stuff, as I can't be bothered with the footage from it.

My conclusion;

Pocket video cameras are the best for low cost that will allow anyone to get in on the video action for up to 10 feet deep. Extra batteries are cheap and a wide variety of standard 1/4 20 mounts are cheap on ebay. The drawback is if you want a Kodak wide angle lens attachment that can be put on with a magnet (even works on cell phones and other brands), you have to be careful it doesn't fall off in rough water or find a workaround.

GoPro is a neat little camera with a tough housing that goes deep and has good battery life. It is a lot more expensive than pocket video cameras, but it goes much deeper. Need the latest edit software to handle codec files and if you don't mind severe distortion and expensive mounts, the GoPro can be a good camera for you. IMO it is overpriced (you are paying for heavy marketing and popularity), the accessories and mounts are also overpriced for a slightly flawed device.

The ContourHD looks like a very promising alternative to the GoPro for anglers with better quality with minimal distortion from a better wide angle lens. Very tough camera and housing that seems indestructible. Very nice looking camera that is easy to use. Similar price point as the GoPro. At this point it is an unknown until anglers start using them and offer feedback. I don't like that it uses micro SD cards, but tht's probably because I invested a lot on standard class 10 cards recently.

So there you have it, a fisherman-friendly underwater video camera review for those of you in the market. There are many to choose from now, and prob even more like the GoPro and ContourHD will come out and drive prices down.

If anyone else has any feedback on underwater compact consumer video cameras, this is the thread to do it. Anyone here use a ContourHD? I would love to hear more feedback on it before I consider one next year.

Aaron

That housing will help fix the underwater issue they have, but it still has a 180 FOV (fish eye) with severe distortion compared to a wide angle 130 FOV. It's the price to pay for a super wide shot. I'm not a fan. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool little camera, but I think it's over priced for what is a slightly flawed camera. I'm sure they will get better.

I will keep my options open next year and do more research when looking to purchase a good quality underwater compact video camera. The GoPro doesn't do it for me right now.

Not exactly what I wanted to hear, as I was looking to pick up a GoPro Hero HD before our trip north for a week of bass fishing. Do the picture quality issues effect all formats (1080/960/720)? I think I'd be more interested in shooting in 720p @ 60fps than 1080p @ 30.

Thanks for your report Aaron. I have had my eye on the GoPro but the Countour HD does seem to be a better camera for fishing videos. I currently use a Creative HD which is cheap, fits in the shirt pocket, takes good videos, and also has an underwater case available (I have not tried underwater).

The lens is not wide angle enough for my liking though as I have to position the camera 5 or 6 feet away and then the microphone doesn't pick up the sound very well.

Thanks for taking the time with this detailed report on the cameras. Very interesting. I have been studying the side by side comparisons on you*tube and it seems like the GoPro has the advantage over its competitors in terms of picture quality, but you are right, the audio is horrible. I wish GoPro had designed around a lower profile. It's a little cumbersome to say the least. I'm going to give GoPro a chance on the trails. You can also incorporate a 3D system while running 2 cams side by side.

I am going to try the flat lens 'blur fix' and shoot in 1080p. That should help with the distortion issue. I haven't shot in 1080p with it yet, and that is the only format with 127 degree wide angle shot. All the other formats including 720p 60 frame is 170 degree (fish eye) with bad distortion. Bad distortion is the price you pay for a super wide angle shot. I will not be able to get the 720p 60 frame for slow motion shots on it without fish eye distortion, but at least the lens blur fix and shooting 1080p should fix the distortion issue.

With this lens blur fix and shooting 1080p, and newer edit software, the GoPro can be a sweet little camera. As long as you know this before the purchase, you can get compatible edit software and the lens blur fix comes standard now (so make sure you don't get old stock somewhere!). The sensor on this little device is excellent, and should give amazing results in 1080p with the lens blur fix. I'll give a report on the quality after I do the fix and take sample footage.

The other main issue with the GoPro is in the edit software. Newer software is necessary to handle the GoPro files, which would mean an upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Production Premium for me and huge money. I could buy several GoPros or ContourHD cameras for the upgrade, so I'm going to look into the ContourHD a little more for myself.

For those of you about to purchase a GoPro, make sure you get compatible edit software, lens blur fixed model and you should be happy with it shooting in 1080p :)

I have been very frustrated by the GoPro footage so far, so much so, that I don't use any of the footage from it anymore. It has been especially frustrating since it has such an amazing sensor. Hopefully the combination of shooting 1080p with the lens blur fix will solve half my issues with the GoPro.

I thought I was impressed with the video from the gopro hd

Irishfield had some great videos from some fishing trips

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/62sOOb58iX0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_iPpDKm96fo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by Terry

I thought I was impressed with the video from the gopro hd

Irishfield had some great videos from some fishing trips

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_iPpDKm96fo"'>http://www.youtube.com/embed/_iPpDKm96fo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_iPpDKm96fo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice shot of Lloyd's belly :rofl2: