Muskie Fishing on a spinning reel and medium rod

SirWhite

Dude, i have fished Kawarthas for musky hardcore for almost thirty years.

I think i know what i am talking about many 100's of musky later.

An assumption of not having knipex, long needle nose pliers, cradle, etc... is wrong.

What do they say about assumptions.....

im asuming the person that started the thread doesnt have this gear... cause this stuff cost enough money... and they arent willing to get a proper rod...

and do whatever you want as far as rod size goes then... cause if youve caught 100s of musky and TRUTHFULLY NEVER had a bad situation due to an undersized rod... then sorry...

but ill :asshat: U ME you have had a bad experience with a big fish cause of undersized gear... cause every musky angler i know has come across a situation where they wished they had bigger/better gear... i know i have...

or maybe you only ever get little dinks and knobody in the kawarthas EVER catchs respectable fish.... all the pictures ive seen of big kawartha fish must have been photoshoped...

and why even bother targeting musky if your never expecting to catch a fish over 15 pounds??? seems like a lot of effort for little results...

I think people are losing focus of the question asked: Would a spinning reel and a medium action bass rod be appropriate for targeting musky?

The answer is a resounding no.

You can argue all you want about whether a spinning reel is appropriate for targeting musky...I think most musky guys who said no did so with the assumption that a bass size spinning reel was going to be used, not a larger saltwater reel.

The key is to use appropriate size equipment for the species you are targeting. For me that means planning to catch the biggest fish in the lake. So all you guys arguing that mh bass gear is appropriate are wrong in my opinion. As Musky Mike pointed out, truly large musky are rare in the Kawarthas, although it is unlikely that you will catch a 30+ pounder it could happen, and you will be woefully unprepared to land and release that beast alive using anything short very heavy gear. That type of logic really angers me. Maybe it is that attitude that makes trophy musky rare in the Kawarthas because people target them with bass gear and end up killing them.

I believe it is lactic acid that builds up in musky, not adrenaline that builds up in a Musky after a long fight and can cause a fatality.

Edited by fishgreg

clearly there are varied views on this

and I think having equipment that is made for large fish is better

but

there is no law or reg that says what you can catch them on

and I do put any one fish above any other fish

so you have the right to catch them on anything you like

and what people are saying here are suggestions, nothing more..

that what you want from this thread

We will be fishing the Kawarthas as it is only an hour and a half away and the fishing is spectacular. Usually I go for Bass but we were catching 10-15 pound Muskie last time on bass setups so we decided on a Muskie Rally in Sept. I have two medium Ugly sticks and one light Shimano FX200 and one medium Shimano GX 130. This is why I'm worried. Would need a whole setup for cheap as I don't have a fishing savings plan setup yetlol.

clearly there are varied views on this

and I think having equipment that is made for large fish is better

but

there is no law or reg that says what you can catch them on

and I do put any one fish above any other fish

so you have the right to catch them on anything you like

and what people are saying here are suggestions, nothing more..

that what you want from this thread

Terry I respect your point, but I'm just wondering what would happen if a person who was targeting musky with bass hear hooked into a large fish that was below the minimum size for the area and fought the fish for so long that the fish died. I know it is unlikely but could a CO who for whatever reason became aware of this situation charge the person with wasting a gamefish as the fish must be released?

We will be fishing the Kawarthas as it is only an hour and a half away and the fishing is spectacular. Usually I go for Bass but we were catching 10-15 pound Muskie last time on bass setups so we decided on a Muskie Rally in Sept. I have two medium Ugly sticks and one light Shimano FX200 and one medium Shimano GX 130. This is why I'm worried. Would need a whole setup for cheap as I don't have a fishing savings plan setup yetlol.

wow

not saltwter gear????

not a carp rod???

who could have seen that coming???

sir white... sorry for jacking your thread... but you should not target musky with the gear you described....

at the very least go get one of those big ugly yellow or blue spinning rod and reel combos for 40 bucks and put heavy braid on it... 60 bucks for rod reel and line and those fat ugly rods can handle big fish... ive seen 30 pound carp landed on them...

whatever...

use ultralights...

6 pound test...

gaff your fish...

dont use leaders...

make sure you knock em out for pictures...

and oh yeah... stay away from the st.lawrence while you practice these brilliant musky tactics...

but

if you are not breaking any laws doing all the things you just posted

then they do have ever right to do it...

again giving advise on muskie fishing is great

trying to beat in your opinion into them is wrong..it's only your opinion....

Before i made the decision to Hunt Musky, i asked people who do it, how i should equip myself. I Pmed people like Lew and Roy and asked advice. I used the info i got to equip myself with the best setup i could afford, without taking a motgage on my houserofl2.gif

No one who hunts Musky, ever told me to get spinning reels or MH bass rods to target this fish.And after catching my first St Lawerence Musky, i know why.Because my bass combo would have been destroyed, and the fish would have had to spend the rest of its life with my lure down its throat.

Simple as that.I would even bet that the tiny musky in your original post pulled harder than any bass you have caught.

Small Bass rods in the Medium range that was referred to is not suitable for musky.

Bigger spinning gear under the proper circumstances are fine.

Why is everyone so twisted about this? To say spinning gear is never acceptable for musky is silly. Heck I saw a very well respected fisherman catch and land a Shark on a MH Shimano Volteus spinning setup. :)

but

if you are not breaking any laws doing all the things you just posted

then they do have ever right to do it...

again giving advise on muskie fishing is great

trying to beat in your opinion into them is wrong..it's only your opinion....

they do have the right to do what they want...

i have the right to pull up beside you and rev my engine while your fishing...

or blast loud music...

doesnt mean its right...

come on... right and wrong is kindergarden stuff here... musky is one of the few freshwater fish that is sensitive to long battles... nobody should target them without the proper gear described by the experienced people on the board...

Small Bass rods in the Medium range that was referred to is not suitable for musky.

Bigger spinning gear under the proper circumstances are fine.

Why is everyone so twisted about this? To say spinning gear is never acceptable for musky is silly. Heck I saw a very well respected fisherman catch and land a Shark on a MH Shimano Volteus spinning setup. :)

never said there is anything wrong with spinning gear...

just bass gear for musky...

asshat.gif

rofl2.gif

This from the guy who told me to "Get Ready" for it, 10 mins before i got my first one.Who suggested i use his gear because mine was a bit lite.(Thanks BTW)

SirWhite. dropMusky Mike a PM, he will inform you of all you need to know without getting the hackles raised by a whole lotta dudes who stand by the way they do it.

With Mike, the fishes security come before anything.Thats what sport fishing is all about. ReRead the posts too. I saw at least one offer to set you up for less than 120 bucks.

Terry I respect your point, but I'm just wondering what would happen if a person who was targeting musky with bass hear hooked into a large fish that was below the minimum size for the area and fought the fish for so long that the fish died. I know it is unlikely but could a CO who for whatever reason became aware of this situation charge the person with wasting a gamefish as the fish must be released?

well it is no different then someone fishing for muskie with a conservation license ...their keep limit is 0 there can be a problem but it is legal

I in no way agree that using light equipment is right..but it is their right

and I think people should be nicer when they are trying to get people to change their ways and not beat down on people who fish with different but legal ethics.........

they have the right so calling them names does not get them to change and putting them down doesn't get them to change ........and if they don't change it is their right............if they are fishing within the law....

put your argument to the law makers and leave the people who are fishing within the law alone

just give them good advise and leave it at that

well it is no different then someone fishing for muskie with a conservation license ...their keep limit is 0 there can be a problem but it is legal

I in no way agree that using light equipment is right..but it is their right

and I think people should be nicer when they are trying to get people to change their ways and not beat down on people who fish with different but legal ethics.........

they have the right so calling them names does not get them to change and putting them down doesn't get them to change ........and if they don't change it is their right............if they are fishing within the law....

put your argument to the law makers and leave the people who are fishing within the law alone

just give them good advise and leave it at that

the MNR has the right to go to your fly in lake in street cloths and check you... but you didnt seem to impressed about that situation...

they do have the right to do what they want...

i have the right to pull up beside you and rev my engine while your fishing...

or blast loud music...

doesnt mean its right...

come on... right and wrong is kindergarden stuff here... musky is one of the few freshwater fish that is sensitive to long battles... nobody should target them without the proper gear described by the experienced people on the board...

Yes you have the right to be an :asshat: as well!!!

Thanks for the advice guys. I did kinda figure id need new equipment. But I never even thought about the impact id have on the fish!

gonna change up for sureJust been on a spinning combo all my fishing life and at 33 Im not sure if Baitcast rod/reel is something I can pick up right away (ive heard some horror stories)

Is it unwise to change reels before a big fishing weekend? is it really that hard to switch from spinning to baitcasting?

What the heck are we going on about? He took your advise way back on page 1.

I looked at who replied and i see alot of quality Musky men here, but some of the ones flappin thier jaws the most here have never posted a musky thread since they joineddunno.gif

the MNR has the right to go to your fly in lake in street cloths and check you... but you didnt seem to impressed about that situation...

is this really the way to argue about muskie fishing

they came running out at me without me being able to identify them, and it could have turned nasty

and I wasn't breaking the law

but go for it this help your position

heck you have convinced me..

oh wait I already say I agree I just don't think putting down people on this website to push your agenda is the way to go

but go fir it you also have the right to voice that opinion

I think the original poster has gotten an answer to his question. Now it just seems like people, including myself, are in a pissing contest. I have to admit that I was a little angry at what people had posted, but Terry made a good point that insulting someone will not get them to change their mind. I was lucky that I learned how to fish for musky with an experienced angler. Not everyone has that privilege.

Mike I do not think you are going to change anyones mind. The majority of musky hunters support your view. You don't need to keep banging your head on the wall.