what pay would you ask for?

adolson

If you worked in a very small retail store with maybe three or four employees and you were asked to take on more responsibilities and become manager of the store so the owners basically don't have to be there very often, what kind of pay would you ask for during negotiations (if they force you to give a figure first) without offending them? Assume you are working three days a week at pennies above minimum wage currently, and you already feel underpaid as it is due to increasing responsibilities over the months/years.

I feel kinda odd asking this here, but I really have no clue about this stuff and there have to be people here who might have experience or whatever.

I'm asking for a close friend of mine, not myself (I'm a programmer at an ISP).

I would ask for a Salary. Work out what would the yearly income would be at the present wage, and make a FAIR increase on that(Hrs worked, how busy is the store, new duties/increased workload). For example, if he was making $12hr, 36 hrs week x 52 wks yr = $22xxx. If the responsibility was alot, I would say $25-$26k per yr. It is not a large raise. The other option would be, forego the raise and negotiate an extra paid vacaion off per yr. go from 2 to 3 or 4 wks.