Mercury optimax (2011)

Dan668

I can get amsoil hpi for a very cheap price. Claims to work in optimax motors. Wondering if I should just get the optimax motor oil which will cost me 60 + tax or go with the amsoil which will cost me under 25 for a gallon.

There's so many debates on which oil people use. and if I read correctly, mercury can't force you to use their oil, so that means I'd still have the 5 year warranty correct?

I went through a gallon in a month so that's why I'm looking @ other options. If its not a good idea I don't have a problem getting the opti oil.

Thanks

You must be running that Opti a lot. I have gone through a gallon and a half in 54 hours of run time. According to my mechanic, DO NOT RUN ANYTHING OTHER THAN Optimax oil in an Optimax. It is possible that you are still in breakin mode where the engine uses double oil.

Run the Merc oil. If you get into a warranty situation even pass date Merc is pretty good about helping you out.

BUT.......The first question will be "what oil are you running"?

I even had a RUDE with major electric problems that went passed warranty what question did they ask What oil is this customer using. I didn't get the connect between oil and electrical and it was clear things were not going to work out if I cheeped on oil.

After the warranty is dead use what you want but 2 strokes always run better with good oil.

Money isn't a problem. Just have friends who work in the oil industry and recommend amsoil for everything including their mercs. Their mercs are past warranty but never have had problems. Just wanted to see what others used in their merc. Ill be getting the opti oil to be on a safe side. Don't want to kill the new rig lol

Edited by danbob

The problem that I have with Manufacturer specified oils is that they typically are a much lighter viscosity that that aftermarket products tested to the same standards for the same applications. This basically means that you end up consuming dramatically more oil. Just because you use more oil does not mean that you have better protection either.

With the Optis, the engine are DFI (direct fuel injection) and you need to make sure that you run a DFI oil at all times. With Amsoil, you best options are the HP or the Interceptor (interceptor is specially made for applications with powervalve engines). Just leaves less gummy deposits.

I have been through this before with sleds... Your dealer cannot deny you warranty for not using their spec manufacturers oil, but you do have to make sure you are using the proper oil for the application.