Mixing 2 Stroke injector oils

mattp33

I have an older merc 2 stroke (89 merc 90 horse) I am having trouble finding the same oil as the previous owner used. I would also rather run amsoil through it. I have about 1/4 tank of oil. Can i just add the amsoil to it?

I would NEVER do this with my cr125, when I had it. That engine was all tuned tho.

Will it hurt to mix?

If so....what do I do if I cant get the same as whats in it?

Thanks guys

What I did was to go to Princess auto and buy a cheap manual liquid siphon pump and take out all but a half inch of the old oil,just so that there could be no air bubbles to go thru the pump and then added the amsoil. I read somewhere that small amounts mixed together do not cause a problem.Up till I changed over to amsoil I had to change the plugs every year,after that I went 5 years before I changed them even though it made absolutely no difference in how it ran,but at $17 a pop for each of my 3 plugs I think i saved a lot of money even though the amsoil was more expensive.

vance

I have never burn anywhere near a tank of oil per tank of gas. This was with a 5 gallon portable tank. A large built in tank may be different.

It wouldn't be too hard to calculate the ratio of gas to oil. Start with both tanks full. Keep track of how much gas and oil you have to add to keep the tanks full. That will give you your ratio of oil to gas.

Most oil injected engines vary the ratio depending on speed. So you won't know exactly how much it should have consumed; but, at least you can see if it is using a reasonable amount of oil.

Edited by JohnBacon