Lake Erie Bass

Live2fish85

Hey all. Well I got out to Erie for the weekend. My buddy and I started off fishing in Long point friday and with the winds thing just weren't going our way. We were having trouble controlling the boat the wind was so hard. We landed and couple largies but nothing big. Well after awhile the wind wasn't letting off and was more then they called for. So we decided to head to my parents as that was the plan after Long Point, just a bit early. Well we got to my parents and the wind was calming down and changing directions. So we decided to head out to a reef which is a good boot to get to. Well it was our first time getting out there and we are happy we did. We had all the rods ready and started of with the drop shot and it was alot of action. The bass are by far alot bigger out there on average rather then what I'm used to catching in closer to shore. Well we came in after about an hour as the wind started to pick up again and it's not the place you want to get caught out in. We ended up with 18 between the two of us in the time out there.

Well we got up sat morning at 5:30am and we at the reef and lines in by 6am. After that it was long before the bass were hitting. The action was great until about a hour or 2 later when about 20 other boats started crowding around as the Dafasco Anglers Derby was going on this weekend. We still did really well only with a few trips in for food and to get more softbaits, we were out until about 7:30 and another storm brought some nasty winds in. We caught well over 30 each on sat and the majority of them in the morning.

Got uo again this morning a bit later though the alarm wasn't loud enough I guess and we woke up at 8am. Got out on the water and to the reef again around 9 and it was already packed, we didn't have the baits that were working so good the day before as we ran out of them, so we started draging tube jigs and got a few nice ones each then it started to ran which wasn't going to stop us until that wind picked up and it was nasty by the time we got closer to shore I was glad we did the waves were getting to big to play around with. All in all we had a great weekend of bass fishing and we are planning to get out next weekend again to try and get one of the monsters that are known to be out there. The biggest one we caught was 3.8 lbs and my friend lost one that was well over 4.

Heres a couple pics of the average bass we got out there.

042.jpg

043.jpg

045.jpg

We didn't get to many pics. We were more interested in getting some more and hoping for the big one.

Is this the nanticoke reef you're talking about - I've never fished there but i've heard plenty about it - I'd like to give it a try sometime. Where would be the closest place to launch from to get there ?

nice work! i fish longpoint alot and its great bass fishing. did you head out to the bluffs?

I didn't get out to Bluffs Bar, I'm not to familiar with Long Point yet and when we go that way it usually to target Largies in the shallow weeds and that. The direction the wind was coming from though I don't know that it would have been the best weather to be out there. I do know long point can be prety dangerous out that way. I would like to get out to Bluff though to get some nice ones just gotta wait to get out with someone that knows the water before I try my luck.

got ya. i dont head out that far too much its quite the run and as you say weather dependent.

as far as the nanticole shoal rob v. - its about 20 miles from longpoint in front of nanticoke harbour along the shipping lanes in. you can PM me for the GPS coordinates if you like. HOWEVER - it can be tough to find, and can be very hard to fish in all but the best weather. trying to hover around a pile of rocks and fish it in 4-5 foot waves can be quite frustrating! i've never had the luck to make it worth the trip.

if you launch from Hoovers marine or port maitland its only a short trip so you can check it out. include the hydro outlet and some north shore bass along three mile shoal, maybe some port maitland perch and you've got yourself a trip!

if you launch from Hoovers marine or port maitland its only a short trip so you can check it out. include the hydro outlet and some north shore bass along three mile shoal, maybe some port maitland perch and you've got yourself a trip!

Do you mean Port Dover rather then Port Maitland, Hoovers Marine and Port Maitland are over a 30 min drive from each other. There is a reef out from Port Maitland but it's the Tecumseh. Port Dover and Hoovers Marine are closer.

Paul thanks, I can't wait to get out again.

Edited by Live2fish85

Thanks Guys and I am going to get out there this week and give it a try just hope that the boat doesn't mess around with me lol. Usually run great but sometimes it like to just not start. I just won't wait for the weather to get there before leaving. So hopefully I will have a report for you guys again soon with some bigger bass.

SRT8 I think the main part was Dafasco had there derby out of Hoovers marine and Austin Park marine and if Nanticoke was packed over the weekend like tecumseh was I can see why the fishing was hard we had awesome success on friday night and saturday morning and then it was packed after that and the fishing slowed down, there was even some bone head tied to the bouy out at tecumseh sat afternoon.

Edited by Live2fish85

Hey thanks for the info guys - I'd like to make a run out there this fall - I hear that's when they really pack on the pounds - but it'll have to be when the weather's right. Got the co-ordinates for nanticoke shoal from the local long point web board. Thanks anyways.

Edited by Rob V