Walleye Everyfreekinwhere!

limeyangler

Hi all,

Went down to the more south easterly end of Lac Seul last Sunday with a new fishing buddy, he has only been to Lac Seul one other time...so i was kinda pleased the fish co-operated.

In fact they were everywhere....shallow (3') and in the thick weeds, In the weeds slightly deeper 10'- 11', on the mud / rock transitions along a shoreline (windswept) in 12' - 15' and on a steep drop off to 45' at around the 28' - 30' mark.

By the way....i did curse us and we had to work our socks off later in the day to get a limit to take home....after about 6pm they all shut off!!!??? Either that or we caught every single fish in the area and they were not gonna bite twice...lol.

Anyway...good 100+ fish day....good company and banter, awesome weather.

Jigs and minnows did the damage mostly...biggest fish...(which got off) fell to 4" sucker minnow as did all the fish above 23".

Leeches were not working at all??? The fish would not touch 'em? But adding a chunk of nightcrawler to your jig and minnow often picked up a fish or 2 when a frantic bite eased off slightly.

Orange/chartreuse 1/8 to 1/4 oz jigs...nothing fancy required. Just the way i like it.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BZURRr4eDMs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oh my wow! =D Looks like fun!

Got a question, I'm new to fishing and trying to learn as much as I can. You guys mentioned you were fishing with jigs, and I saw a bobber on the line. Why the jig and not just a plain hook for bobber fishing? Sorry it's a stupid question but I just want to understand why/how people rig up their tackle in a certain way.

Stop it. :worthy:

NO....lol

No trouble finding supper on Seul eh, Simon? A great day for you guys. Thanks for sharing.

It was a real 'chore' to get our keepers....we threw back so many perfect keepers at the beginning, convinced the bite was to good in too many spots to have all the spots turn off simultaneously when we decided to keep some...we were wrong...the fish went on strike at 6pm, luckily a few were willing to break through the picket lines and get us a respectable stringer.

Ok, your fishing partner looks happy! haha

100 walleye is ok, but can you catch 200?sarcasm.gif

I'm working on it...its a tough job but somebody has to do it right?

Oh my wow! =D Looks like fun!

Got a question, I'm new to fishing and trying to learn as much as I can. You guys mentioned you were fishing with jigs, and I saw a bobber on the line. Why the jig and not just a plain hook for bobber fishing? Sorry it's a stupid question but I just want to understand why/how people rig up their tackle in a certain way.

Not a stupid question at all. To be honest i think the hook is a better more natural way of presenting a live bait on a slip bobber, however...being the lazy sod i am, the jig method means i am not having to add a split shot and tie a hook...as a jig acts as both.

What a great day! Enjoyed your video Simon. Lac Seul is sure a gem but notwithstanding - you guys must have been doing something right to enjoy a haul like that :thumbsup_anim:

I dunno whats happened this year, i have really been getting into some good numbers of fish consistently. I definitely have been paying attention and trying to incorporate some ideas from posts by Ben Beattie and some other gems of advice from other successful walleye fishermen who fish LS. Its not rocket science as you rightly point out to catch a walleye on LS...but without tooting my own horn i certainly feel like this year i have progressed a little bit in terms of being able to at least some of the time figure out a pattern for walleye given any certain set of conditions. Certainly helps to build your confidence having the opportunity to regularly use lac seul as your laboratory to test proven methods and your own new hypotheses.

I guess I should take a serious look at the lodge at the end of the lake..... :D

???

omg... absulutely amazing... :) Its like waleye everywhere!... I envy you man!.. wish I could fish for waleye like that... :P none stop action!.. very cool simon... thanks for sharin!.

You ever up this way 'B'...gissa a call :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim: