possession, limit or both..

beginner

My family and friends are planning to go this weekend to Niagara falls and we want to grill fish... So I pitch in and said I have 6bass in my fridge the last time I went fishing... My question is:

1. Am I allowed still to throw some lures??

2. Is the 6bass still my limit and I cant fish anymore??

3. or this is just my possesion.. but not my daily limit...

I know this is not a brainer question but I need ur expertice

thnx

bfisher

The possession limit pertains to where the fish were caught, not where you might actually physically possess the fish.

Correct, but once you are in posession, you are in posession, and no matter where you go to catch more fish, you still have your limit.

Cut and pasted from the regs:

Catch and Possession Limits – The catch limit is the number of fish you are allowed to catch and keep in one day and includes fish that are not immediately released and any fish eaten or given away. The possession limit is the number you are allowed to have in your possession on hand, in cold storage, in transit, or anywhere. Possession limits are the same as one day’s catch limit except where otherwise specified.

Many many threads about this on here....simple and easy answer: read the regs :D

I agree, but it get's fuzzy here...

How do you prove to the authorities that this limit of fish is from another zone?

Can you have 6 bass from Zone 15, and 6 bass from zone 17 in your possession?

It's up to the "authorities" to prove that they weren't. Otherwise, by that logic, you wouldn't be able to leave the lake on Balsam with a legal slot-size fish that would be an illegal slot-size in the rest of zone 17.

No.

I agree, but it get's fuzzy here...

How do you prove to the authorities that this limit of fish is from another zone?

Can you have 6 bass from Zone 15, and 6 bass from zone 17 in your possession?

that is hard to answer too... they might think ur lying to them... ur in zone 15 and you fish in 17.. complacated.. i guess picture of the place.. would be one proof..

If you have a four fish limit from one zone in your freezer, and are now fishing in a zone with a six fish limit, can you keep two more fish?

That's one I'm not sure about. Logic says yes, but regs have very little to do with logic sometimes.

that is hard to answer too... they might think ur lying to them... ur in zone 15 and you fish in 17.. complacated.. i guess picture of the place.. would be one proof..

Hopefully, in our supposed free country, the "authorities" wouldn't automatically assume you're lying.

A simpler solution for possession limits would be to make it a single limit per species, province-wide, that is higher or equal to the highest daily catch limit for the species in the province. But I don't make the rules.

For those who are not aware of the regs. Not directed at O.P. or any contributers to this thread. Just F.Y.I.

Catch and Possession Limits – The catch limit is the number of fish you are allowed to catch and keep in one day and includes fish that are not immediately released and any fish eaten or given away.

The possession limit is the number you are allowed to have in your possession on hand, in cold storage, in transit, or anywhere. Possession limits are the same as one day’s catch limit except where otherwise specified.

For those who are not aware of the regs. Not directed at O.P. or any contributers to this thread. Just F.Y.I.

Catch and Possession Limits – The catch limit is the number of fish you are allowed to catch and keep in one day and includes fish that are not immediately released and any fish eaten or given away.

The possession limit is the number you are allowed to have in your possession on hand, in cold storage, in transit, or anywhere. Possession limits are the same as one day’s catch limit except where otherwise specified.

meaning I cant fish for that fish :( because I have the possession limit and it was considered to be a daily limit too... nice lolz

A simpler solution for possession limits would be to make it a single limit per species, province-wide, that is higher or equal to the highest daily catch limit for the species in the province. But I don't make the rules.

Different bodies of water deserve to be judged on their own merit. Province wide limits is lazy and irresponsible. The MNR does their due diligence to inform us on the sustainable catch limits for each region and body of water, the least we can do as anglers is do our due diligence in understanding the regulations. It is not that hard. It really isn't.

bf.. you can gift those fish to someone else in your family.. just sayin...

Thnx irish, you give me an idea... Im not trying to catch another limit, is just that while we are having lunch and some rest.. I was thinking throw some lure, I dont know about anyone but if I see water?? light bulb??? fish.....

Different bodies of water deserve to be judged on their own merit. Province wide limits is lazy and irresponsible. The MNR does their due diligence to inform us on the sustainable catch limits for each region and body of water, the least we can do as anglers is do our due diligence in understanding the regulations. It is not that hard. It really isn't.

I agree with you about catch limits. Had you read what I wrote, I specifically was talking about possession limits. I don't see any reason why there should be room for confusion with possession - those of us who actually want to follow the regulations might get screwed because it really is not clear, and there is room for error, potentially causing issues for those with no ill intent. A province-wide possession limit would solve that, while retaining the catch limits of individual zones and water bodies.

You can still catch and release.

you sure?? I heard before that when you reach ur limit you cant targeted those species... because you may damage the fish and die.. this one is playing in my head... this is why I asked the question limits... so I would be in the safe side.. :)

I agree with you about catch limits. Had you read what I wrote, I specifically was talking about possession limits. I don't see any reason why there should be room for confusion with possession - those of us who actually want to follow the regulations might get screwed because it really is not clear, and there is room for error, potentially causing issues for those with no ill intent. A province-wide possession limit would solve that, while retaining the catch limits of individual zones and water bodies.

I get what you mean now.

I haven't thought of that, I would have to think about it more to decide on whether I would agree with it.

if you are that worried about it how about stop taking them home? if fishing for you is more about stocking your freezer than the 'thrill of the hunt' just go to the grocery store.

if you had left that bass in the lake, or consumed it the day of the catch you wouldn't have anything to worry about. not sayin you've done anything wrong here, im sure you fished within your limit and nothing wrong with putting some fish in the freezer for a rainy day, and i appreciate your effort to learn more about the regs.

why don't you just eat the damn things and then go fishing? :)

okay.. let say we ate the fish in lunch time.. possesion gone, right?? thus it mean im back with the limit??? lolz this is confusing lolz :(

Lord have mercy, I love these threads!!! :wallbash::wallbash:

I would say you have to wait until you completely digest your limit and then have a bowel movement to be completely rid of your allowable limit, the answers to these questions can get rather silly can`t they!!! :P

if you are that worried about it how about stop taking them home? if fishing for you is more about stocking your freezer than the 'thrill of the hunt' just go to the grocery store.

if you had left that bass in the lake, or consumed it the day of the catch you wouldn't have anything to worry about. not sayin you've done anything wrong here, im sure you fished within your limit and nothing wrong with putting some fish in the freezer for a rainy day, and i appreciate your effort to learn more about the regs.

why don't you just eat the damn things and then go fishing? :)

Is not the freezer am worry about, Its the rules about possesion and daily limits... :) I was saving the fish this wekend for bbq or grill... being said that.. I know its a possesion and its also a daily limit... I was going to Sinclair said.. I can catch and released... but this catch and released made left me with a question... what happen if a fish was damage and die?? I would be responsible?? Am I right?? Irish said I can give my fish to family... so I would be able to fish without a doubt...

sorry for the stupid question guys I apologize