Im a small backwoods redneck kinda guy

sturgman

I will be visiting new family and friends in Cambridge, and will have the oppurtunity fishing Lake Ontario. Holy crap am i ever pumped to be fishing the big waters considering most of my fishing life, I have spent most my days on quiet, small back lakes! All of my fishing excursions are close to home trolling, jigging for a pickeral, or throwing a senkos for a small mouth bass! I am so totally out of my element seraching for a salmon and have no idea what to expect! Lake ontario, here I come! woo hooooo! Any tips for a newbie?

I've only ever reeled in one salmon, back when I lived in Toronto. My advice: do a lot of workouts - strength training, specifically - before your trip. The salmon was the most tiring fishing experience I've had to date. Mind you, I was fishing off the shore on a river - I forget where, my uncle took me since I was new to the city (literally there fore about a month). I don't even remember how big the thing was, but it seemed huge at the time. Still, it was fun. But tiring. Might be different/easier from a boat, I dunno.

If you dont have the gear (down riggers, dispseys or lead core) hooking a big Lake O fish will be a pretty tough. Spoonpullers would be a good place to get some info in a hurry. Or, if your serious about catching one and have a couple friends interested - get a charter. You catch fish (and an addiction) and have chance to learn lots. Definitely read the weather forecast and know what your boat can handle if you are going out in your own; like any of the great lakes, the conditions can change from calm to scary in the length of time it takes you to pull in your lines and turn for shore.

If I had an open seat it would be offered for sure, but for some reason everytime I'm hitting the lake the seats have little "reserved" signs cool.gif and this weekend has been booked for a while - weather permitting. Of course I could buy a bigger boat.........HEY -- ouch stop that (oops the Mrs saw that last comment! have to type with one finger for a week now)

If I had an open seat it would be offered for sure, but for some reason everytime I'm hitting the lake the seats have little "reserved" signs cool.gif and this weekend has been booked for a while - weather permitting. Of course I could buy a bigger boat.........HEY -- ouch stop that (oops the Mrs saw that last comment! have to type with one finger for a week now)

Wusswhistling.gif

Spoonpullers has tons of info if u hav somtime to spend reading. Geuss ur planning on fishing south or south west side, I would suggest starting in 80 or 90 fow and working ur way out to 130-140 fow. Fish seem to be anywhere from 25 - 50ft down, spin doctors/flashers/ fly combos on dipseys or spoons off the riggers have been workin well. ENE winds are the worst but anything from the N will giv u a rough ride. I was out last sat am and lake was calm but within 30min it went from 0 to 2.5/3 ft waves. Keep an eye on the weather network of check out ndbc.com (station 45139) for bouy report which is out of Grimsby for wave heights/ wind speed etc.....my bet is that u wont be a "small backwoods redneck kinda guy" after you get out there......Good Luck