OPP on the local lake

Bob

Resident love goddess and I were trolling past the boat launch on Elliot Lake on, I think it was Friday, maybe Saturday. I don't keep track of days too well since retirement. The OPP boat was just coming out and they hailed us to say they were coming alongside. I shut down my engine and we hauled lines as they approached. I was tickled to tell them I no longer require a license and I showed them my senior's card and boat operator card as well as all safety gear. They thanked us and said that folks like us make their job easy and I told them that we love to make their job easy, they do a fine job. These were two very young fellows who were all smiles, friendly and courteous to a tee. Couldn't figure out why the senior officers didn't snag the cushy duty?

I've been fishing this lake for 30 years and change and been stopped by MNR maybe 3 or 4 times but this is the first time I've ever been stopped by police on any lake in the district. I know they do rounds and they have two boats based in Blind River but this is the first time I've run into them on the water. No worry because I always have my stuff together and in order.

Up until they stopped us we had had one fish on and lost it but after they left we landed three decent pike in the mid 30s range. Not a bad day and we were home shortly past noon.

Edited by Bob

Resident love goddess and I were trolling past the boat launch on Elliot Lake on, I think it was Friday, maybe Saturday. I don't keep track of days too well since retirement. The OPP boat was just coming out and they hailed us to say they were coming alongside. I shut down my engine and we hauled lines as they approached. I was tickled to tell them I no longer require a license and I showed them my senior's card and boat operator card as well as all safety gear. They thanked us and said that folks like us make their job easy and I told them that we love to make their job easy, they do a fine job. These were two very young fellows who were all smiles, friendly and courteous to a tee. Couldn't figure out why the senior officers didn't snag the cushy duty?

I've been fishing this lake for 30 years and change and been stopped by MNR maybe 3 or 4 times but this is the first time I've ever been stopped by police on any lake in the district. I know they do rounds and they have two boats based in Blind River but this is the first time I've run into them on the water. No worry because I always have my stuff together and in order.

Up until they stopped us we had had one fish on and lost it but after they left we landed three decent pike in the mid 30s range. Not a bad day and we were home shortly past noon.

I have been stopped numerous times by the O`pee`s and they have always been pleasant!!!

So tell us Bob what is retirement leaving in Elliot lake lake?

Retirement living in Elliot Lake is whatever you make of it. If you like the idea of having numerous lakes that you can launch in within 20 minutes of your door (I do), it's the pussycat's butt. Most lakes in the area have some kind of trout along with pike and bass and some even have walleye if that's your inclination.

Actually I didn't come here to retire, I came here to work. When they shut down the mines, I worked a lot of different jobs but never had a desire to leave. Last fifteen years or so, I "worked" as a KJ (karaoke jockey) with my own equipment and had a blast. Party 3 nights a week and get paid cash at the end of every night. Kept the wolf pretty far from the door. When it came time, I just stopped working and started collecting my "pennies from heaven".

Now when the weather is good, if I'm not dressed and ready to go, that Resident Love Goddess pushes me to get up and let's fish.

Retirement here is great. Oh yeah, boated 3 more pike this AM, the bass have lockjaw I guess. Gonna put some riggers on my little boat and get some trout.

Retirement living in Elliot Lake is whatever you make of it. If you like the idea of having numerous lakes that you can launch in within 20 minutes of your door (I do), it's the pussycat's butt. Most lakes in the area have some kind of trout along with pike and bass and some even have walleye if that's your inclination.

Actually I didn't come here to retire, I came here to work. When they shut down the mines, I worked a lot of different jobs but never had a desire to leave. Last fifteen years or so, I "worked" as a KJ (karaoke jockey) with my own equipment and had a blast. Party 3 nights a week and get paid cash at the end of every night. Kept the wolf pretty far from the door. When it came time, I just stopped working and started collecting my "pennies from heaven".

Now when the weather is good, if I'm not dressed and ready to go, that Resident Love Goddess pushes me to get up and let's fish.

Retirement here is great. Oh yeah, boated 3 more pike this AM, the bass have lockjaw I guess. Gonna put some riggers on my little boat and get some trout.

Your life and my life sound basically the same. I wouldn't trade it for anything. IMO it's the only way to live. Good luck with the trout. :good:

35-40ft Bob. good luck

Yes. Thank you. I kind of figured that's all I'd need. Do you fish Elliot or is that a general observation for the district? They've made an awful mess at the boat launch so I think we'll have a go at Esten right after breakfast.

Yes. Thank you. I kind of figured that's all I'd need. Do you fish Elliot or is that a general observation for the district? They've made an awful mess at the boat launch so I think we'll have a go at Esten right after breakfast.

pretty much everywhere lately....suprised they've been so high still. They'll be sinking deeper though soon with these hotttt days! Good luck! Let me know how you're making out. Esten skunked me on the trout a couple weeks ago...but I only rigged for about an hour...they too were high...about 25ft.

Yep, Esten skunked us today. Didn't see anything much below 30 ft. Tried a dipsey for a while, no dice. We've only been in to Esten twice this year and skunked both times. Shocking! Esten hardly ever skunked us in the past. We had one good hit and then it was gone. I think we'll try Depot in the AM. Milady has been on a bum leg for a couple of weeks, whacked her knee pretty good but she figures it's in shape to handle that little ladder down there.