Looking for Reel Input

mbosh1980

For big musky baits that have alot of drag I use a 7000 series Abu. It's got a huge spool plus a power handle and even baits with double 10 or 12 blades come in effortlessly.

Also excellent for taking up slack in a hurry with jerkbaits or burning other baits very fast.

Well there you go, Lew. Abu 7000's are all 4.1:1 reels except the 7000i which is a 5.3:1

Well there you go, Lew. Abu 7000's are all 4.1:1 reels except the 7000i which is a 5.3:1

Yup, a low speed reel for sure Roy but the big spool brings in line very fast and the power handle give you the torque.

Lotsa guys don't like casting with it because of the large size, but I can toss baits all day with it without any problems. Just takes a bit of getting used to.

Thanks for the opinions. I took the plunge. I know how I fish (unsuccessfully most of the time) and I think it will suit my style. This will be my first reel at a higher price point so I am looking forward to trying it out.

btw -- 170 is a great price. I paid 280 at lebarons a couple of yrs ago.

Also wonder why so cheap, and why they're discontinuing the middle size.....but mine has been great.

I wonder why its only cabelas that has them at this price...

I have a Revo Toro Winch 60 and like many have said, it is great for big double bladed bucktails. I believe it was also mentioned that you can't 'burn' them in with this reel of which I agree (you can, but there are plenty of better reels for this). I have mine mounted on a sling blade and to be honest, it is not needed with this rod. If I only had one muskie reel/set up it would be the Calcutte 400TE on a XH rod. If you mount your new reel on the rod you mentioned, you will absolutely love it. The lighter the action on the rod the bigger the difference the winch makes. Bringing in a double ten on a mh rod all day without a winch will wear you out.

Be sure to report back on how you like it.

Apparently only the left handers are being discontinued, but I couldn't resist that price compared to $299.99 so I looked into it and I was able to get a right hander and after all was said and done it was going to cost $230.00 after taxes and duty. Still not a bad deal but I had mine sent to a friend in the states and he is bringing it north in a couple of weeks and it only cost me $175.00.

I'll let you know what I think after using it.

keep your hooks sharp!

monster

• 4 weeks later...

My buddy finally arrived with my new reel and after throwing double 10's and 12's for 4 full hours of musky fishing I have come to the conclusion that this reel does exactly what it is designed to do.

I love it!

I am a small guy and generally could only throw these kind of baits for no more than 20 minutes at a time before my arm would be on fire. I definitely would not try to burn blades with this reel but it was effortless bringing my cowgirls and boo dadleys back to the boat.

Hell of a deal at $175, Thanks a lot for posting this Bosh!

Keep your hooks sharp!

Monster

Edited by monsterfish