Salmon fishing tomorrow

Hey everyone. I'm heading to Port Darlington tomorrow to try Salmon fishing for the first time. On one rod I have 30lb mono big game spooled up for my down rigger rod and I was thinking of trying steel line for my dipsy rod. I have a spool of 30 lb single strand and I was wondering if there is a special way to tie it to the spool or do you use a haywire twist. I have never used it before and would like your opinions on this, as well as any other tid bits of info you might have about this. Should I be using a floro leader as well. We will be there till friday, how has the fishing been in that area. Pm me if you don't want to tell the world.....I understand. Thanks in advance, I am so stoked to try this I can hardly wait.

What line is on your dipsey rods now? That single strand "monel" is not the stuff that the guys' use for wire dipsies, usually a seven strand 30 lb or a newer 19 strand that has got mixed reviews. If you've got braid now I'd run with that and hope the fleas aren't bad yet. Don't forget a twili tip if you do go wire, it don't do well with sharp bends.

30 lb Big Game is fairly flea proof, I'd go with that. I've only used the single strand Monel eons ago on reels with very large arbors looking like a clothes line pulley with handles don't know how it be more tight wound on a more conventional trolling reel.

yeah, I wouldn't spool up with that wire.

spool it up with 50lb braid and your golden. I find the fleas stick to it when they are bad, but they aren't bad yet, and they don't really seem to get bad for any length of time. I like to use it more than wire, its just easier to deal with. I don't mind flicking the fleas off once in a while.

S.