Interesting Bass Opener

canada414

As this is my first post I'll Start off by introducing myself. I stumbled on this site while looking for information on local Conservation areas. My name is Lukas and I'm 16. I love fishing, especially for bass. My bass opener this year was on Lake Niapenco in Binbrook. We started off casting crankbaits and spinnerbaits along with a few topwaters. After no success I switched to a dropshot rig in about 6 feet of water. A few minutes later a fish was pulling out drag (which was a bit loose as I was fishing from a canoe. I brought it to the surface and it was a nice walleye as seen below. My personal biggest as I have not had a lot of success. Finally Niapenco is stained lake with very little structure and a mud, silt bottom. I will be going back at least once this week so if anyone has any tips for fishing this type of water for bass or pike it would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Dscn40703.jpg

16 years old and you're bagging walleye, in a small reservoir, in a canoe.

That tears it, I'm taking up knitting. :wallbash:

You only signed on to make me feel bad, didn't you?

Whippersnappers...

Actually I have no idea how to catch walleye. My two biggest were this one and one off a rattle trap going for smallmouth.

Welcome aboard, and, congrats on bagging a walleye in a lake that doesn't give too many up.

Sinclair gave you some good advice with the spinnerbait suggestion. Stained water, get their attention. However don't be afraid to slow it down. Find weed lines and work slower presentations, jigs or even bright spinners at a dead slow retrieve.

Good luck!!

Good catch. i said it here before, ive heard of people catching walleye in that lake but never see it. that place is my least favourite conservation area to fish. the shore line is sub-par and the bass ive caught are small. but thats just me.

nice walleye and welcome to the board! i find that the fishing can be pretty good there from shore at least you just have to walk and do some bushwacking. I like to use x-raps and skitter pops there thats what i get the smallies on some largies too.