fishfinder trouble question

chris.brock

I have a Humminbird 565 portable, sometimes, the bottom will appear faint, the temperature will disappear, and the depth will flick on and off, like it's having trouble finding bottom

the symptoms seem to last for a few outings, the battery check says the battery is 2 thirds fully charged

it's ok when I'm fishing shallow, but when looking for lakers or deep stuff, it sucks and doesn't seem to mark fish

thanks

Sounds like battery to me. What are you using? rechargeable? How old is it? or disposables? Do you have an actual voltage reading or just fraction/percent/bars type of indicator? When you say it happens for a few outings, what (if anything) changes in your setup to make it work properly?

I'm using rechargable, sealed batteries. I'm pretty sure it's not a setting, I went through everything a few times, and it has done this before and then rectified it's self somehow.

The battery indicator gives me a meter reading on % charged and voltage too

On the same trip last week, an eagle fishfinder had the same symptoms, I'm wondering if at times there may be a severe thermocline or alot of pollen and clutter up high in the water

Hey Chris, I had the exact same issue with a cheaper portable unit. Call Hummingbird out of North Bay (1-800-461-9500), ask for George and he should be able to help you.

In my case the transducer was the issue and they shipped me a new one the next day at no charge (it was under warranty). If it's not under warranty, they will probably sell you one at cost.

Needless to say, give them a call. They provided some of the best service and I was up and running with a new transducer within 48 hrs. Great service and they didn't even want my money for shipping!

Yep.. George is as good as they get. I dropped two blown Cannon downriggers there on Friday at noon (lightning strike) and he called me Monday 8am to come back and pick them up. He went in and worked the weekend to get them up and running!! :good: