Nippissing West Arm Boat Launch

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a public boat launch on the West Arm of Lake Nippissing. I am planning to fish there this weekend for the muskie opener and I see that all lodges are now charging between $25-$30 to launch your boat and park for a day. This seems excessive to me. I am not aware of a publich launch but thought I would ask if anyone knows of one or perhaps a more reasonable daily rate of $10-$15 to launch and park your vehicle. I am coming from Sudbury.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and good fishin!

Millhouse2020

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a public boat launch on the West Arm of Lake Nippissing. I am planning to fish there this weekend for the muskie opener and I see that all lodges are now charging between $25-$30 to launch your boat and park for a day. This seems excessive to me. I am not aware of a publich launch but thought I would ask if anyone knows of one or perhaps a more reasonable daily rate of $10-$15 to launch and park your vehicle. I am coming from Sudbury.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and good fishin!

Millhouse2020

$20 a day at Lakair, not bad when you consider your car is safe.

there are 2 free public ramps one in Lavigne at the bridge but parking is limited. There is also one off 64 highway on Sucker creek rd. more parking there.

The one at Sucker Creek is good, go Hwy 17 to Verner, south on 64 past the first bridge at lakeair and just past the second bridge on right, if you stop on the second bridge you can see the ramp on the south shore, good ramp and sufficient parking. There is a swampy local put in off lake Rd from Hwy 535 but no parking and shallow with mud............

The one at Sucker Creek is good, go Hwy 17 to Verner, south on 64 past the first bridge at lakeair and just past the second bridge on right, if you stop on the second bridge you can see the ramp on the south shore, good ramp and sufficient parking. There is a swampy local put in off lake Rd from Hwy 535 but no parking and shallow with mud............

Gentlemen, thank you very much for the great info! I have been to the ramp in Lavinge for many many years but did not know about the other access point. Hope to have some luck connecting my g/f on her first muskie this weekend. Thanks again!

One more question, does the ramp at sucker creek have a dock? If so that will be great, thanks again everybody!

One more question, does the ramp at sucker creek have a dock? If so that will be great, thanks again everybody!

Yes, it has tie ups for your boat. It's a raised pier with the ramp on one side and built up wooden wallswhere you can tie off. Lots of room, parking is on an upper area about 50' away, sheltered area out of the wind. More developed than Lavinge and right at the start of the West Arm..........

Yes, it has tie ups for your boat. It's a raised pier with the ramp on one side and built up wooden wallswhere you can tie off. Lots of room, parking is on an upper area about 50' away, sheltered area out of the wind. More developed than Lavinge and right at the start of the West Arm..........

How's the catching been up there W A R?

How's the catching been up there W A R?

Pickerel are starting to hit better the last couple of days, shad flies are thinning down. Good between 8 PM to dark in about 10 -15' water in the normal spots or try right up against steep rocky shorelines if the wind isn't to bad and you find a small ledge for them to work. During the day try 15 - 23' down. I've been catching them on plastics and feathers because I can't be bothered to get minnows but live bait is the way to go if you're only up for a short time. A slow death worm on a bottom bouncer during the day drifting is really good, they like a short 3 - 4' length behind the bouncer better than a long one (maybe the stained water).

Pike are slower than usual but that can change in a day, surface temps are coming up to 70F and the weeds are starting to become noticable shallow but still okay in 7-9 ' (the stained water stops weeds pretty much after 9').

If you haven't fished the waters west of Dosters Narrows to the Hwy 535 bridges and around Oak Island for Muskies yet give it a go. Warren Bay and Musky island areas get the brunt of muskie fishing because the waters deeper, but for the next month or so I would work the upper reaches. Water is around 11' generally with some deeper holes. Look for new cabbage growth and when you find some work it hard and often, it'll probably have a muskie around. Also around the rock outcrops........................

Pickerel are starting to hit better the last couple of days, shad flies are thinning down. Good between 8 PM to dark in about 10 -15' water in the normal spots or try right up against steep rocky shorelines if the wind isn't to bad and you find a small ledge for them to work. During the day try 15 - 23' down. I've been catching them on plastics and feathers because I can't be bothered to get minnows but live bait is the way to go if you're only up for a short time. A slow death worm on a bottom bouncer during the day drifting is really good, they like a short 3 - 4' length behind the bouncer better than a long one (maybe the stained water).

Pike are slower than usual but that can change in a day, surface temps are coming up to 70F and the weeds are starting to become noticable shallow but still okay in 7-9 ' (the stained water stops weeds pretty much after 9').

If you haven't fished the waters west of Dosters Narrows to the Hwy 535 bridges and around Oak Island for Muskies yet give it a go. Warren Bay and Musky island areas get the brunt of muskie fishing because the waters deeper, but for the next month or so I would work the upper reaches. Water is around 11' generally with some deeper holes. Look for new cabbage growth and when you find some work it hard and often, it'll probably have a muskie around. Also around the rock outcrops........................

That is some great detail W A R. Much appreciated.