Trailer bearings

scugpg

I've been using the RBL trailer bearings for a while now (China) and never had any issues.

What do you guys use? Or does it really matter if you regularly do maintenance checks? Wasn't sure if it was worth considering Timkens...though I think they are now Mexico origin.

Edited by scugog

I have princess auto bearings and seals on my trailer. Maybe it's how I installed them, but the seals are shot, and it's only been 1 year.

I pumped up the bearing buddies with grease at the start of the year, and rusty water puked out the other end.

I'm glad you asked this question, cuz I was going to ask the same thing.

I have princess auto bearings and seals on my trailer. Maybe it's how I installed them, but the seals are shot, and it's only been 1 year.

I pumped up the bearing buddies with grease at the start of the year, and rusty water puked out the other end.

I'm glad you asked this question, cuz I was going to ask the same thing.

You may have had the wrong seals. I was just at the shop today and I had to double check - they had the same size seal for the hub fitting, however the hole that goes onto the axle was a different size.

Was the rubber deteriorated?

Was the rubber deteriorated?

To tell you the truth, I havn't really investigated it. I've been doing short trips, and I havn't noticed the bearings heating up yet. I live about 2 minutes from the boat launch.

After this weekend, I'm going to tear it apart and have a look.

To tell you the truth, I havn't really investigated it. I've been doing short trips, and I havn't noticed the bearings heating up yet. I live about 2 minutes from the boat launch.

After this weekend, I'm going to tear it apart and have a look.

Hard to say. If the buddies weren't packed tight they could've leaked from there as well. I priced out some timken seals today and they were $6 a piece. Bearings were $11ea. I can usually get 4 bearings, 4 races, and 2 seals for just over $20 of the cheaper ones.

Edited by scugog

You get what you pay for.. and not a place to skimp unless you're broke down on the side of the road and have no other source.

What Brian said... go to Canadian Bearing in Barrie.. they've been there for over 30 years for a reason. Also KG Bearing and Belt in Midland @ 999 William St or another respectable dealer. No reason to be buying bearings from a discount store...

I have seen where guys go through the trouble of replacing the bearings and seals but don't clean the rust off the surface where the seal rides. Rust will ruin the seal immediately.

Polish the surface with emery cloth. If its very rusted start out with a coarse paper and work down to a fine paper until the surface is very smooth. A coat of paint will help prevent the rust in the future.

Apply a coat of grease over the surface after the paint dries. Then put on the hub.

And Misfish and Irishfield are correct...use the good stuff.

I changed a set of bearings and races two years ago from canadian tire. Don't remember which ones. I think it also had the seals. Was a complete kit. Things have been fine. I have now been buying my seals from princess auto and they are double seals. I find them much better than the ones from canadian tire. Again so far I have had no problems with the bearings I bought. I repack them once a year. I just use regular dust caps. Things are good. Hope this sheds some light for others.

Edited by LD17

I changed a set of bearings and races two years ago from canadian tire. Don't remember which ones. I think it also had the seals. Was a complete kit. Things have been fine. I have now been buying my seals from princess auto and they are double seals. I find them much better than the ones from canadian tire. Again so far I have had no problems with the bearings I bought. I repack them once a year. I just use regular dust caps. Things are good. Hope the sheds some light for others.

I haven't seen the double seals around lately. I'll drop over there to check them out it makes sense especially with the boat trailers.

I change my bearings out every year. Do you guys as well or just repack them?

Edited by scugog

I just repack mine. The bearings look like there is a bit more wear on them through two years. I'm going to run them this year and see what they look like next year. If you don't feel any scratches on the races and the bearings look good no point to change them out. Then again you can't go wrong with changing them every year. More cost but more peace of mind.

I just repack mine. The bearings look like there is a bit more wear on them through two years. I'm going to run them this year and see what they look like next year. If you don't feel any scratches on the races and the bearings look good no point to change them out. Then again you can't go wrong with changing them every year. More cost but more peace of mind.

I got a bearing packer on sale at Napa a few years back looks like this one: http://www.timken.com/en-us/products/lubrication/products/Lubricators/deliverydevices/Pages/BearingPackers.aspx

Makes it sooo easy!

Properly maintained, a bearing will last a very long time.

I certainly will not replace a bearing that is still good.

The physics of a bearing is the lubricant is actually the contact point, the metal surfaces should not touch when in motion.

This is why the lubricant needs to be free of contaminants.

Dirt in the lube is just like sandpaper in a bearing.

Properly maintained, a bearing will last a very long time.

I certainly will not replace a bearing that is still good.

The physics of a bearing is the lubricant is actually the contact point, the metal surfaces should not touch when in motion.

This is why the lubricant needs to be free of contaminants.

Dirt in the lube is just like sandpaper in a bearing.

In this quote and Bernie's other post is very good advice....also you should not be mixing wheel bearing grease....completely clean out the hub and bearing before repacking or replacing them...AND there is also a marine wheel bearing grease available that I would recommend...I believe it's red....hard to remember because I go YEARS without repacking them....went 15+ years the last time...but I don't put them in the water.

Bob