Blue Lake, Haliburton

EC1

Good Afternoon all,

Was just informed by some friends that we might be taking the next weekend off to try and shoot for a run at a buddy's campsite.

As far as I've heard so far, I will be on a lake with smallies (Which will be OOS when I get there), and rainbows. No clue as to its depth or structures, but is anyone willing to share with me their experiences on the lake?

I'm told worm and split shots will catch rainbows, but I would be a lot more interested if I got a chance to trick some of these fish into biting artificial baits.

I would try smaller spinners of various colours and even smaller twister tails. Look for them out over open water and suspended eating bugs. I had luck for rainbows using these techniques on a couple of lakes. Try trolling with the spinners.

If you have a boat, and can troll, I'd just use a worm harness and troll over deep water. If they don't touch the worms, tie a big wooly bugger, or stonefly behind the spinner about 18". You don't need to get very deep, they will be up high. I usually run about 75ft of line out, with no weight on the harness. If that doesn't work, I start adding weight, one splitshot at a time until I find the sweet spot.

The Rebel crickethopper, and ugly duckling crankbaits work good too.

Hold on, because those rainbows really nail it, and pull hard :) Make sure you have a smooth drag!!

S.

Awesome info! Thank you gentlemen!

Don't know if I will be able to go to other lakes, as I'm probably going to be the only one in the group that will be seriously fishing.

Gonna see what I can do on the lake and report back!