How should I freeze my fish

10point

I like using my freezer the best....it's cold enough so they are frozen solid..... :P

Sorry, COULDN'T resist...

I almost always freeze my fish right after filleting...

Now that I have a good vacuum sealer I use it, but before then I would freeze them in water and here's how a buddy has shown me how years ago..he only eats fish and game he harvests and veggies he grows...he has 3 freezer full of stuff.

My pal Will takes a qt. container (ones from Tupperware or Rubbermaid work great, ESPECIALLY if they are squire containers (Will says they pack together better in the freezer, wasting less space).

Pack you fish into the container, then fill with cold water and place in freezer....the next day or two remove the containers and flip upside down and run hot water on the bottom of the container....the ice block pops right out...now you can reuse that container again and again...

Then put the container in a small plastic bag and fold over...then this ice block fits very nice into the small lunch bags we used years ago (stores still them them)....fold over the lunch bag and tape...now the paper bag can easily be marked with what kind of fish and the date of catch..

It don't get better then this....I have seen my buddies freezers...full of fish, deer, ducks, goose, rabbits, beans, carrots etc.......I could go on and on....and at 71 years old he's as fit as a 20 year old...still doing all his own crops, etc....

Bob

Then put the container in a small plastic bag and fold over...then this ice block fits very nice into the small lunch bags we used years ago (stores still them them)....fold over the lunch bag and tape...now the paper bag can easily be marked with what kind of fish and the date of catch..

Bob

Thanks! Did you mean to say put the block of ice that has the fish in it in a small plastic bag?

I use a zip lock bag.

Put the fish in, add water. Zip it almost shut, squeeze the air out.

Then lay the bag down with the small opening over the edge of a basin and point it down.

It will leak slowly out the unzipped small section.

Shift the fish in the bag with your fingers to lay them flat while the bag drains.

This will drain the water out and create a vacuum in the bag which will keep the fish completely sealed.

Less water in the bag the better as it makes for an easier thaw out for cooking.

Seal the bag while its still overhanging to prevent air from re-entering.

Takes a lot less space in the freezer too.

Thanks! Did you mean to say put the block of ice that has the fish in it in a small plastic bag?

Sorry....didn't do a great job of explaining....but YES...put the ice block in a plastic bag the just fits and then in that small lunch bag that just holds a qt square container of ice....they all fit into that paper lunch bag for labeling....works great and looks very professional at that.

Bob

I've done it several ways inc luding the immerse in water. My favorite way now is to wrap each filet in cling wrap,keep as much air out as possible then store in a zip lock bag again keeping as much air out as possible. When I want to eat them I don't thaw slowly on the counter. I run cold water into the sink and throw the cling wrapped filet in the water. I cook as soon as the filet is thawed.

Do you guys use the water to prevent freezer burn on the fillet? If not, then why use the water? Never herd of this.

YES....the water prevents freezer burn for long term freezing, 2 years would not be unheard of using this method...if you're going to eat them in a week or so, it's not necessary...

I really think the vacuum seal pack is the VERY BEST way to go...but expensive for a GOOD one....it pulls out all air, uses less space and defrost time is a lot less....but you can alway run cold water over your frozen ice block to speed up defrost time...works very good.

Bob

I use a zip lock bag.

Put the fish in, add water. Zip it almost shut, squeeze the air out.

Then lay the bag down with the small opening over the edge of a basin and point it down.

It will leak slowly out the unzipped small section.

Shift the fish in the bag with your fingers to lay them flat while the bag drains.

This will drain the water out and create a vacuum in the bag which will keep the fish completely sealed.

Less water in the bag the better as it makes for an easier thaw out for cooking.

Seal the bag while its still overhanging to prevent air from re-entering.

Takes a lot less space in the freezer too.

I do pretty well the same thing but I use 2 bags in the first one only the fish is put in there. sink half full of water i take the first bag and squeeze out all excess air by putting it in the sink and pushing out all the air then I seal the first bag, then i put it in a second bag and fill that one with water. So that no water is touching the fish. When I want fish I quickly get rid of the layer of ice and all I have left to thaw out is the bag with fish in it. (all this is easier done thatn written.)

I've done it several ways inc luding the immerse in water. My favorite way now is to wrap each filet in cling wrap,keep as much air out as possible then store in a zip lock bag again keeping as much air out as possible. When I want to eat them I don't thaw slowly on the counter. I run cold water into the sink and throw the cling wrapped filet in the water. I cook as soon as the filet is thawed.

I do it this way as well. I've done the water method and found it's just too much of a pain to prepare & defrost. This is the quickest and easiest, no to mention my fish don't stay in the freezer longer than couple weeks.

Some other tips for freezing your fish:

Clean it sooner rather than later. Always a good idea whether freezing or not, though not always possible.

Don't clump the meat up into a pile or on top of each other.

After you've wrapped your fish (lots of great ideas above), put your fish into the coldest part (usually the bottom) of your fridge for a few hours first. Then put into the freezer (nearer the bottom, if you can find it, the better). Better to use the big freezer chest if you have one, not the one above/below your fridge.

When you want your Frozen fish take it out long before you cook it and let it thaw in your fridge. If your stuck, thaw it in cold water, but make sure the water doesn't come in direct contact with the flesh.

The keys are to freeze the meat (or any food) as fast as you can. Small pieces, lots of surface area, chilled in the fridge first, use the big freezer.

And then thaw it slowly.

Those are standard food prep guidelines.