northern ontario advice

JayL88

Sounds like an awesome trip you have planned. Take lots of jigs and twister tails, cranks etc. I worked in the Kenora, Dryden area back in the late 80's. The fishing oppertunities are endless up there.

Sounds like great fun. If i can help out shoot me a pm. If ya need to pitch a tent in the Dryden area we have lots of acres right on Wabigoon.

There's lots of places to pitch a tent on LOTW. I have seen a few in use during my trips up there. If you fellas have a boat, you will be laughing, it will be a trip of a lifetime for you. Enjoy it and enjoy the time with your uncle. BTW, 3 cans of muskol probably won't be enough........

Drop by my house and I'll give you an autographed Phaneuf hockey card. Seriously.

haha wasnt tryin to..well.... maybe a bit lol

Trust me, I've been at Dan's home and you'd be wrong to miss out on the offer! thumbsup_anim.gif

Sounds like an awesome trip you have planned. Take lots of jigs and twister tails, cranks etc. I worked in the Kenora, Dryden area back in the late 80's. The fishing oppertunities are endless up there.

yea i got tons of jigs, might just grab a pack of darker color fin-s (only got bright colors) and same with the twister tails, main thing im gunna need is muskie lures, other than spinner-baits, i literally have only 2 muskie lures in my box so... defitally gunna grab another buck tail or 2! lol

Sounds like great fun. If i can help out shoot me a pm. If ya need to pitch a tent in the Dryden area we have lots of acres right on Wabigoon.

yea im sure ill have a question or 2 before i go so ull more than likely be hearin from me! lol exactly 3 more weeks from today and im outta here!! :D

There's lots of places to pitch a tent on LOTW. I have seen a few in use during my trips up there. If you fellas have a boat, you will be laughing, it will be a trip of a lifetime for you. Enjoy it and enjoy the time with your uncle. BTW, 3 cans of muskol probably won't be enough........

yea im pretty sure we will be staying in LOTW area at some point and yup we gots a boat so should be fun, im hopin on some sore arms by the end of this trip! lol im sure hell have a couple cans of bug juice on him also so i HOPE were fine...... lol im dreadin those damn bugs already, thank god there will be no flys tho!

Trust me, I've been at Dan's home and you'd be wrong to miss out on the offer! thumbsup_anim.gif

i think ill defitally be takin him up on the offer!! lol gunna be up to the uncle tho, takin his truck to pull the boat and hes not a hockey fan so.... lol im sure he wont mind tho!

The trip across thenorth side of Superior is absolutely beautiful. Enjoy!

so i hear! and change of plans now too, originally we were gunna go up thru north bay, up the center of ontario to get to hearst but now i guess were gunna be following the quebec boarder up to hearst, gunna add a few hours to the drive but from what i hear, thats the more sceanic route but same plans for the way back, following the shoreline down the western side of ontario back home, probly stop at georgian bay on the way home also!!

Actually, there will be flies in the summer that do bite!! They are nasty buggers!! On LOTW, there is a little spot on Route Bay about 25mins from Kenora on Storm Bay Road that I've seen people camp on, it's not far from great fishing waters.

Actually, there will be flies in the summer that do bite!! They are nasty buggers!! On LOTW, there is a little spot on Route Bay about 25mins from Kenora on Storm Bay Road that I've seen people camp on, it's not far from great fishing waters.

crap... lol i can deal with the mosquitoes, they dont usually bug me but those damn flies...... lol hate em!! and thanks for the spot! itll definitely help cuz like i said once we leave hearst were going to sleeping giant but after that..... lol no idea. we did book 2 days at a fish camp in kenora but once we leave sleeping giant, we will need to find a place to pitch a tent for a day or 2 until we can go there, so may have to check out the spot u mentioned forsure!!

I have made this drive a few times, I worked the past few summers on lake of the woods Dan nailed it with the sights to check out. Last year on my way up i stopped and fished the nipigon river, 8 brookies biggest 23" smallest 17" and about a dozen lakers biggest 31"

All were taken on bucktail jigs in a smelt pattern!

Once you're in kenora definitely check out figure 8, they are great guys and will help you out. Lake of the woods is no miss for walleye, bass, crappie, lakers, pike and musky.

I love that lake and hope you have a blast pm if you have any questions.

There is a nice Provincial Park on Hwy 72 call Ojibway PP. It's on the way to Sioux Lookout, about 30 mins off the trans canada hwy. The turn for Hwy 72 is 30 Kms EAST of Dryden. The lake the park is on is called Little Vermilion and is loaded with smallies. Just an FYI. Hope you have a great trip.

I have made this drive a few times, I worked the past few summers on lake of the woods Dan nailed it with the sights to check out. Last year on my way up i stopped and fished the nipigon river, 8 brookies biggest 23" smallest 17" and about a dozen lakers biggest 31"

All were taken on bucktail jigs in a smelt pattern!

Once you're in kenora definitely check out figure 8, they are great guys and will help you out. Lake of the woods is no miss for walleye, bass, crappie, lakers, pike and musky.

I love that lake and hope you have a blast pm if you have any questions.

thanks for the tip, im definitely looking foward to LOTW fishing, i tihnk i got a few buck tail jigs in the box, ill have to double check, i remember a bought a few a couple years back but not sure if i have any left... hopefully

There is a nice Provincial Park on Hwy 72 call Ojibway PP. It's on the way to Sioux Lookout, about 30 mins off the trans canada hwy. The turn for Hwy 72 is 30 Kms EAST of Dryden. The lake the park is on is called Little Vermilion and is loaded with smallies. Just an FYI. Hope you have a great trip.

ill definitely have to look into it! i wouldnt mind a few smallies, thanks bud!! cheers :thumbsup_anim:

We are currently in Dryden for the week visiting the wife's family....they have a camp on Lac Seul where we were for 3 days earlier in the week....all you need is some spinning gear..jig heads and minnows or anything that resembles a minnow..fishing is fantastic up here..cant beat a fry of pan sized pickerel! Eagle Lake tomorrow..home Sunday morning..have fun!

We are currently in Dryden for the week visiting the wife's family....they have a camp on Lac Seul where we were for 3 days earlier in the week....all you need is some spinning gear..jig heads and minnows or anything that resembles a minnow..fishing is fantastic up here..cant beat a fry of pan sized pickerel! Eagle Lake tomorrow..home Sunday morning..have fun!

right on! glad to hear the fishings good! howd ya do on eagle lake??

looks like were leaving a day early now. ill be leaving windsor wednesday around 4pm to go to my uncles house in kitchener, then well be leaving thursday around 4pm to head out on the trip.. should arrive in hearst around 9am friday morning!

Just got back from a trip to Nakina/Geraldton, Hearst The walleye fishing in Fushimi PP was unbeatable definately worth a couple of days. Ware the bears, saw 13 on our trip, 3 in one day in our campsite. They weren't aggressive or anything as soon as they saw it was humans they bolted pretty quick and didn't even come back for a nightime visit although I was so hammered they could have ate me and I wouldn't have known.

A sample of the pike fishing we had

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lowpZrHSxe8

Oh and the no=seeums are out in full force I'm covered in bites.

Edited by Musky or Specks

Just got back from a trip to Nakina/Geraldton, Hearst The walleye fishing in Fushimi PP was unbeatable definately worth a couple of days. Ware the bears, saw 13 on our trip, 3 in one day in our campsite. They weren't aggressive or anything as soon as they saw it was humans they bolted pretty quick and didn't even come back for a nightime visit although I was so hammered they could have ate me and I wouldn't have known.

awesome!! glad to hear the fishings good! when we get to hearst friday morning well probly just screw around the cabin for the day, wont do much fishing after all that driving, i think well just want to sit around or nap, will throw a few lines in from shore later in the afternoon and see if we can get into a couple pike but thats it for friday but saturday morning we will be hitting fushimi lake so glad to hear the fishings full force!! im also glad to hear u spotted a few teddy bears too!! lol i plan on filling my camera and defitally lookin to spot some wildlife while up there so thats awesome! thanks for sharin bud! cheers!