Southern Gbay report

bobowski

I spent the last week up at my trailer on southern Georgian Bay to relax and get some fishing in. Surprisingly the water level is down almost a foot. I thought that the water would be up because of all the precipitation that we have had so far this year. I woke up early on Saturday morning only to look out my window and see nothing but fog. It was the most fog I have ever seen on the water. If I didn’t know this water really well I would not of ventured out.

Picture769.jpg

Picture768.jpg

I motored along into the fog:

The water was still very cold so I figured the fish would still be shallow. I started to troll some shallow bays using a perch crankbait. This lasted for about an hour with no action. The fog was then starting to roll off of the water and a cool breeze started so I put on a sweater and thought I would switch up my lure. I went to the good old classic "Daredevil". I have always had success with this spoon. It is my "go to" lure when all else fails. Within minutes I hooked into my first fish.

Picture764.jpg

and then another

Picture765.jpg

I continued to catch fish after fish but nothing that had any size to it. All of a sudden I hooked into something big. In an instant it starting taking drag and my reel was screaming. I slowly start to tighten the drag in hopes of slowing this monster down. Then without notice my line snaps and I stare into the sky in disbelief. I didn't mention that brother had taken my rod with him to a different cottage so I was forced to use my brothers rod which was equiped with braided line that I later found out was only 10lb test. Darn it! That fish haunted me for the rest of the day. I know it was a beast. Despite my frustration I continued to troll all of the back bays I could find. I hooked into another fish that I assumed was a Pike until it leaped out of the water and I could see that it was a decent sized Musky. I usually only catch a couple of Musky per year where I fish so this was a treat. I got it into the boat and it measeured in at 29 inches.

Picture766.jpg

I fished a little more and the called it a day. I was happy to catch a Musky but the thought of the one that got away stayed in my head. All in all it was a nice day out on the water.

I see your partner in the bow seat is not much for conversation. I've been fishing with a few of it's relatives to keep the paddle boat ballanced. At least you knew you wouldn't be out-fished.

haha . Ya its helps the boat plain out when I am by myself.

looks like a busy day on the water! As far as the musky goes, I wouldn't bother with those grip things in its mouth, do far more damage than good, especially when used with a vertical grip. Also, with musky out of season still....(pictures often frowned upon!)

I wouldn't bother with those grip things in its mouth, do far more damage than good, especially when used with a vertical grip.

I don't usually use the grip thing. Considering the size of the fish I didn't thin a vertical grip was a problem and the fact that it was oos I used it so that I could get it back in the water ASAP. Personally I dont think the grip thing causes any damamage to the fish.

Personally I dont think the grip thing causes any damamage to the fish

so hanging vertically by its lips that musky stayed absolutely still? Tell me your secret hypnosis because when I get muskies in the boat they tend to want to shake around a bit! With a firm hold I'm able to control the fish, but often with some effort. I believe any fish hanging from its jaw that starts to thrash around will incur damage. I actually saw a show many years ago Leo and ??? fishing pike along the GTA shoreline and they were using these boga (?) grips on 25 to 30 inch pike. Several of the fish thrashed like mad and ended up with huge rips in their mouth that you could actually see on camera. After seeing that show I literally made a decision that I would never use on.