Motor concern...

Jigger

Got the boat in the water at about 730 or so this morning. I´ve already had it in this year and it ran as always. Great. Got to my sweet spot about 8 and was quite surprised to see some big musky in the spawning area along with some VERY nice pike. So sight fishing was on! Water was steady at 68.5 in this area. Problem was, to properly ID the fish before making a presentation. ¨Are those spots or stripes?¨ The water is very tannic in this section, so you almost have to get on top of the fish, ID it, and then make a slow retreat. One clang of the oar across the bow, or the shadow of the rod as the lure pitched toward the spot and all that remains is a cloud of sediment.

Caught sight of one such pike, a fat female that id like to call 40in, but since I didn´t have a tape or a good pic, I´ll just call high 30s. I tied on a very bright waveworm that I have in just such a case and dropped it approx. 3ft in front of it. And shook and paused. Shook and paused. I was close enough to see her eyes turn and focus on the bait. Forward motion. Cloud of sediment. Hookset! Got her in the boat a minute or two later and set her free to do her business. DIV.15 opener success!

Tried for a few more but came up empty handed so started to make my way back to the cottage and thats where the motor issue popped up. This is a 30hp Mariner thats run like a charm since I got it. The problem first started at full speed stuttering before getting back to speed. Got back to the cottage and checked the fuel filter, checked that there was no debris in the carb, made sure all my fuel lines were intact... All the basic stuff that my limited knowledge could come up with. My buddies tranny was slipping the other day on the way home and thats about the closest I can come to describing the stutter, although it is more of an RPM thing than a gear slipping.

Any and all thoughts on this would be truly welcome. Thanks. I´ll try and upload the pic from my phone alittle later.

Hope everyones enjoying the BEAUTY day!

my buddy has a similar problem with his 25 merc,the only thing fishy was the primer bulb was going soft when the motor started to slow,he took off the cover and at wot you could see the gas drain out of the fuel filter till there was almost none.we are pretty sure it was the 0 rings on the gas line at the tank or motor or both were sucking some air ,the line was original and very hard so he replaced but he hasn't been out to test it yet.

Basically just a SIMPLE PLUMBING JOB :sarcasm::devil::thumbsup_anim:

vance

Edited by vance

I had the same problem with my 40 Mariner last year. It was the fuel line. It looked just fine, but for whatever reason, wasn't working right. I would also reccomend a good dose of seafoam to clean out the fuel system from tank, to exaust!

S.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I did find a small split in one of the small lines going through the fuel filter, but its below the zip tie i put on there after the same line split last year and leaked gas all over the place. I cut it back and put the tie on to keep it from shifting on the fitting. Maybe its time to replace it... The problem seems to go away if im running it at half throttle, so ive just been riding it until I can get a new line. Ill report back if that solves the problem. Also, the seafoam idea is sounds lime a good one. Ill pick some up before the next trip up. Thanks again!