Radio install

mistaredone

I'm looking to install my old car deck and speakers on my boat.

Question?

When running the red, yellow and back wires to the battery do I need a breaker? Also is it ok to hook up 14 gage wire to a battery? All the battery rings I saw in the store were rated for 10-12 Gage wire.

Thanks

You don't need a circuit breaker. But make sure you have fuses on the + leads to the battery. Make sure you have a cover for the stereo, one splash of water on it and it will be toast. Your speakers won't last too long, the paper in automotive speakers will degrade in a season or two. There are relatively cheap marine grade speakers available, BassPro is pretty good for selection and price.

As for the rings hooking up to the battery, to do it right, crimp your 14ga to the ring and then melt some electrical solder into it and you won't have any sort of a problem with it, just heat it up with a soldering gun or iron and get some solder in there.

I redid the stereo in my boat last year and am looking at adding a better/more powerfull amp and another pair of speakers. It's nice to have some tunes while trolling or anchored near a beach.

Thanks bigbuck, I'm building a box for the deck and speakers. I have a 15 breaker hope that will be enough.

From what I understand black is the ground and should be hooked to the negative. Yellow is the power line to positive, I'll attach breaker here. And rred also goes to positive. I think that's the ignition line

Red is the Main power with an in-line fuse

Yellow is the Memory power also with an in-line fuse

Black is ground.

I put an on/off toggle switch in-line on my Red wire ..

Yellow stays on constantly so I don't lose my settings.....

but remember to charge your battery regularly ... just the Yellow will drain a 27 series battery in a week.

Randy

:canadian:

Red is the Main power with an in-line fuse

Yellow is the Memory power also with an in-line fuse

Black is ground.

I put an on/off toggle switch in-line on my Red wire ..

Yellow stays on constantly so I don't lose my settings.....

but remember to charge your battery regularly ... just the Yellow will drain a 27 series battery in a week.

Randy

:canadian:

Thank you