With the weather for Walleye Opener, here is something to try.

Harrison

Here is something to try this weekend if you are heading out for walleye opener.

With the overcast and rain predicted the fish should be holding off the weeds and roaming a little more.

The bait bellow is called a beetle spin. we have used these for years and done quite well with them when the conditions permit. However, we remove the jig and replace it with a mushroom head jig and either a 4 inch grub or a 7 inch worm.

I use it as you would a jig or bucktail - pitch/cast it out. Let it drop, jig it, twitch it, rip it...etc.. Ecept a bit faster so you can cover alot more water.

Just something else to try if you are heading out... thought I would just throw this out. Good Luck

Beetle%20Spin%20minnow.jpg

Edited by Harrison

Shhhhhhh!!!! I use these all summer with yum grubs....check out my walleye tray in the "show off your tacklebox thread"

LOL, don't think they are a secret...we used to use them over 30 years ago for walleye.

However, you definitely don't see them used as much anymore, and, they are another great tool in the arsenal :thumbsup_anim:

We call them safety pins.

I actually used some yesterday bass fishing. I'm still awaiting them to move shallower for pre spawn, so I thought I'd go check yesterday. I used a number of baits trying to entice a strike to no avail. Tied on a safety pin with a 3" Gulp leech and had a few really nice strikes. Water was fairly clear and choppy, so that shimmer of the blade looked great. I'd cast into the deeper water, about 28 ft., let it sink to bottom and start with a slow retrieve, rod tip down. Every few feet give it a light pop and let it flutter back to bottom. Got 3 really nice bass to follow right to the boat in the shallows and break water to strike just at the upswing into the boat.

These are pretty similar to a bladed jig head, but I like that safety pins are generally snagless

Edited by manitoubass2