Carp on the fly- first of the year finally

iCarp

As we all know this year has been colder and the season has started much later than last year. Match, float, big carp hunting, fly fishing- all have been running late. In late April last year I was being Tom Barry's camera boy as we waded amongst tanks and cows on the Lake Erie flats. This year, it's almost mid-May and the carp are just starting to come in.

I dropped by a few spots on Lake Erie on Sunday afternoon. It was a nice day for a drive and I treated myself to an ice cream cone. That's really all I have to say about that afternoon- not a carp in sight.

This afternoon I retraced my steps (redrove my roads?) All along the lake the water was clear, although there was a brisk wind ruffling the surface coming from the east. And there were no carp out there. I dropped by the good old back corner. The water was milky green. This was the only spot with poor clarity and it was also the only spot that held carp. Naturally. I could see the odd one rolling or jumping- yes, jumping in the shallows. Of course, I had to go in.

Afternoon sun from the west and wind from the east make for one of the least desirable combinations. And I could only see between 4 to 9 inches down thanks to the milky green quality of the water. Sight fishing was impossible. There were often carp parked only a few feet away from me but I only found out when I moved and saw the silt explosions as they shifted off.

Well, I had come this far so I tried casting blind for a while. I'd let the fly hit bottom and then retrieve with slow strips, hoping to keep it on the bottom, avoid foul hooking a cow, and entice a strike. Whenever I got into a fish I just held onto the line. If it was a foul, the hook pulled. If it was fair the carp usually came to a quick stop and found itself bulldogged up to the surface- it's more fun than it sounds to stop a carp in the teens in its tracks and it let me confirm that the fish was fairly hooked. But it's also exhausting, so I'd then let them run and actually play them. I lost two out of the three that were fairly hooked (I think I have an explanation for that...) and here is the third, about 28"long and very fat and sassy:

firstfly.jpgfirstflytoo.jpg

(edit: added photo)

Hey Victor, good to see you. Yes, she was very broad and full bellied- a real pot bellied pig. Unfortunately, the photo doesn't do her pre-spawn weight justice.

hawk-eye: Carp on the fly are challenging, hard fighting, and a lot of fun. I enjoy sight fishing the best. Stalking them in skinny waters hones your casting skills and is very exciting. A carp can have you into your backing before you know it. The next month or so is prime time for carp on the fly and I hope you take advantage of it.

Tight Lines

Stephen

Hi Dan,

There's a lot of talk about highly realistic crayfish patterns for carp, but I find that a simple olive woolly bugger with black hackle and black marabou tail works very well. And it's easier to see in the water. I tie mine with lead dumb bell eyes so the hook rides point up. And I tie them big since I am after carp in the 20, 30, and up range. I call the pattern the Barry Bugger since Tom Barry shared it with me.

I hope to see you down here in Hamtown with a fly rod soon.

Congrats laszlo. I am looking forward to seeing your photos. I have a little 3wt that I use for small carp and i'd rather get into a 2-5lb carp than a largie of the same weight. Pound for pound the carp gives a better fight.