Boatsmart

edmichit

Last summer I supervised my buddy writing the boaters card tax crab scam(sorry did i say that outloud!) Anyway, he passed the exam, according to the rules, he was interested in learning some boating rules, so it was a good exercise for him.

Now last month i was contacted online by the G guys to confirm that i did in fact supervise his exam, and that i was required to take a short test to validate the exam.....well long story short.....I failed because i answer 1 of 4 or 6 questions wrong, go figure. I shortly got an email that said they would call me to continue the audit, they called on the weekend, I missed the call (I was out fishing....in a boat!)

What surprised me was that they actually called to follow up, now the funny business...the folks calling are from Boatsmart.....wanna bet they want more cash! I'm gonna call them now and find out...anybody else going through this rediculous stuff?

btw the question i got wrong was "where was the exam taken"

Yup just did about 3 weeks ago. If I didn't pass they were going to revoke the people the I proctored the exam for. The test was pretty straight forward though.

Rob C

It just doesnt make sense. No where did it say that the supervising individual had to be a boater or pleasurecraft operator. It could have been anyone at all.All they had to do, was certify that the person taking the exam did not cheat, and took the test fairly. How can they ask a supervisor to pass a test, if they dont boatdunno.gif

Sounds fishy to memellow.gif

It just doesnt make sense. No where did it say that the supervising individual had to be a boater or pleasurecraft operator. It could have been anyone at all.All they had to do, was certify that the person taking the exam did not cheat, and took the test fairly. How can they ask a supervisor to pass a test, if they dont boatdunno.gif

Good point Mercman!

Last summer I supervised my buddy writing the boaters card tax crab scam(sorry did i say that outloud!)

What "tax crab scam"? The money does not go to the government other than the HST on the cost of the course.

Yup just did about 3 weeks ago. If I didn't pass they were going to revoke the people the I proctored the exam for. The test was pretty straight forward though.

As for "If I didn't pass they were going to revoke the people the I proctored the exam for" not likely to happen.

How could they do this. Send someone to their house & demand the card back? :rolleyes:

As there is no national database for the police to reference as long as you have a card your good to go.

I'm sure the questions asked were not on boating rules but to determine if the test was administered according to the set rules.

btw the question i got wrong was "where was the exam taken"

IIRC if you answered that the student wrote their test at their own home than that's the problem. Again IIRC the test can not be taken at the candidates own home.

Edited by Woodsman

Mercman, I am just wondering if all the "Supervisor validation questions" were like the one mentioned (the one he failed) or did they actually ask questions that were given on the Boater's card exam. We are missing some info here.

Tree30eight, I am wondering why you didn't know where the test took place? If you were there, wouldn't you know that answer easily or am I missing something?

Tom

Edit: Looks like you were too fast for me Woodsman

Edited by Overcast

Here is the email that I received:

WE are contacting you regarding your supervision of BOATsmart! Canada's Online Pleasure Craft Operator Card exam.

You are required to complete a Web Based Audit to ensure that you supervised the Pleasure Craft Operator Card exam in accordance with BOATsmart! Canada's Test Protocol.Completion of the audit is mandatory.

If you fail to complete BOATsmart! Canada's Web Based Audit within 30 days you will be required to complete a Phone Based Audit. If you do not complete your Web Based Audit within 30 days you will be contacted by BOATsmart! Canada's Quality Control and Compliance Team.

Please login to your Supervisor Account now to complete your Web Based Audit:

Step 1: Login to your Supervisor Account at https://www.boatsmartexam.com/en/secure/supervisor/onlineSupervisorAudit_login.cfm

Step 2: Begin your Web Based Audit. Your Audit will take 3 to 5 minutes to complete.

Step 3: Receive your Audit results immediately upon completion.

Based on the responses you provide during your Web Based Audit, BOATsmart! Canada will determine if the exam(s) you administered were in accordance with BOATsmart! Canada's Test Protocol and the rules and regulations as required by Transport Canada.

If you pass BOATsmart! Canada's Web Based Audit, your Supervisor account will remain active and you can continue to supervise BOATsmart! Canada's online Pleasure Craft Operator Card exam.

If you fail BOATsmart! Canada's Web Based Audit, you will be required to participate in a follow up Phone Audit. BOATsmart! Canada's Quality Control and Compliance Team will contact you in the event you fail your Web Based Audit, or fail to complete your Web Based Audit within 30 days. Failure to pass the subsequent Phone Audit will result in the cancellation of your candidate's Pleasure Craft Operator Card.

By completing this audit you will have helped to ensure a credible standard for boater education and certification in Canada.

The test really had nothing to do with boating, it was how the exam was administered. No big deal, just a way for them to say "we did our job"

Rob C

Pure bull & hype.

"Failure to pass the subsequent Phone Audit will result in the cancellation of your candidate's Pleasure Craft Operator Card."

No way they can do this. No national data base to confirm or deny if your card is valid. If the card holder has moved since obtaining the card how will they find them & inform them of the cancellation & revoke the card?

If the test supervisor has moved how will they contact them for the audit? So now will they also cancel their canidates cards.

What happens if the supervisor has since died? Cancel those cards also?

Also no requirement to update your address as a card holder.

What their working on is your guilt factor that if you don't comply your friends may suffer the consequences.

Most supervisors only signed up to help out a friend and don't give a rats arse if they can no longer supervise these tests.

Edited by Woodsman

Pure bull & hype.

"Failure to pass the subsequent Phone Audit will result in the cancellation of your candidate's Pleasure Craft Operator Card."

No way they can do this. No national data base to confirm or deny if your card is valid. If the card holder has moved since obtaining the card how will they find them & inform them of the cancellation & revoke the card?

If the test supervisor has moved how will they contact them for the audit? So now will they also cancel their canidates cards.

What happens if the supervisor has since died? Cancel those cards also?

Also no requirement to update your address as a card holder.

What their working on is your guilt factor that if you don't comply your friends may suffer the consequences.

Most supervisors only signed up to help out a friend and don't give a rats arse if they can no longer supervise these tests.

So......after about a 15minute wait because "my call is important" i got to the audit people, and answered the same questions....this time i gave the right answer. they thanked me and that was it. What difference does it make where the exam takes place anyway?

I'm left wondering; what if they didnt get me via email? what if i did move or something, either way if you do get the audit and you do fail the test(like me, just one wrong click) just call them back.....correct your answer....and all is good again. My buddy can rest assured that the card he has will keep him legal in his aunts little tinny.

What difference does it make where the exam takes place anyway?

Simple answer: If you both answered the same then they can determine if indeed you and your buddy were actually in the same room. To me the questionaire is a means of giving them credibillity. Don't think there is a reason to get your tail feathers in a flutter.

I can't say for sure as I have never dealt with them, but there is more than likely a clause in the instructions that there could be an audit :dunno:

:thumbsup_anim: good job helping your buddy pass now let him take you out in his aunts tinny and enjoy the time spent.

Edited by pikehunter