Suzuki O/B wont start

Hi Guys

So I went out and bought a new marine battery and changed the plugs in my suzuki DT25 outboard..I went to turn the key and nothing..hmmm. The battery is fully charged..I wonder if the plugs are gapped right from the store?

It wont turn over or make any noise at all with a turn of the key...terminals seem ok,,

thoughts?

thanks guys

Rich

Starter motor? Run your battery direct to the starter and see if it turns over. If it does, you have a wiring problem between the battery and the starter. If it doesn't, get your starter checked out.

Plugs have nothing to do with the motor cranking over. There's a gremlin in the starting circuit somewhere. I'm going to ask a question, not to insult you, but funnier things have happened. Are the right cables hooked up to the correct battery terminals? Check tightness of the cables on the starter motor (both) positive and ground. Check the ignition wire to the solenoid, round thing on the side of the starter. Is the kill switch hooked up? Is the motor in gear, some have interlocks.

Plugs have nothing to do with the motor cranking over. There's a gremlin in the starting circuit somewhere. I'm going to ask a question, not to insult you, but funnier things have happened. Are the right cables hooked up to the correct battery terminals? Check tightness of the cables on the starter motor (both) positive and ground. Check the ignition wire to the solenoid, round thing on the side of the starter. Is the kill switch hooked up? Is the motor in gear, some have interlocks.

no insults at all..I appreciate receiving replies..funny thing it was running great when I put her away last year..and I taped the wires for red and black as well..I dont think it has a separate starter motor or solenoid? seems to be wired directly to the ignition..the small bilge pump seems to work off the same battery..i'll check everything tomorrow again..

thanks guys

Kill switch ?

Faulty switch in throttle control (motor wont start in gear)

In my experience the starter motor will still engage with the kill switch disconnected. The motor just won't start. Throttle switch could be the answer though.

I would check the battery connections first; clean terminals, make sure red is connected to positive and black to negative. I often had similar problems that would be solved by loosening and then re-tightening the battery connections.

if the fuses are good, pull a plug and make sure it (the spark plug) is connected and it is touching the block and try and turn it over, no spark = no power. If the plug is touching the block and you get a spark from it then it's a whole new problem.