Carb issues

kenzy31

Hi all. I have a late 80's 60 hp Johnson that is spitting fuel from the lower of the 3 carbs. I'm thinking stuck float maybe.?.?.? Any advice is a help. Also looking for reputable marine mechanics in Barrie. Thanks for any and all help.

Jesse

With the motor in the upright (running) position tap lightly on the bowl of the leaking carb with the handle of a screwdriver. This will usually unstick a stuck float, if not you may need to remove the fuel bowl and give the float/needle a shot of carb cleaner.

If you have a stuck float you can confirm it by looking down the throat of the carbs while you squeeze the ball firmly. If you see any fuel weeping from the main jet hole in the middle or from a very small hole located by the throttle butterfly then your float is sticking. If the carbs have not been pulled down that you know of then a rebuild is in order. Does the fuel spit from it while running or at rest?

Art

If you have a stuck float you can confirm it by looking down the throat of the carbs while you squeeze the ball firmly. If you see any fuel weeping from the main jet hole in the middle or from a very small hole located by the throttle butterfly then your float is sticking. If the carbs have not been pulled down that you know of then a rebuild is in order. Does the fuel spit from it while running or at rest?

Art

thats a good tip, i'll check the ball-squeeze method in the morning. as for spitting fuel, it happens while running. the amount is in relation to throttle position (more spitting at higher throttle). then just drips out of the plastic carb cover into the engine bay. carbs were removed last year in the spring and the bottom one was rebuilt with new needle and o-rings. could the gas be settling in the bottom carb and eating away at these parts? this is the first run out of storage this year.

thanks you guys for your input and wealth of knowledge,

Jesse

took a couple pics with my iPhone this morning after removing the carb cover. tried the bulb sqeeze, no gas coming from anywhere. fired it up with the muffs on and could see fuel spitting from upper and lower carb right at the little brass piece near the top. is this a jet??

080.jpg

this is the layout of the 3 cyl

081.jpg

Just a note but the red lever is your manual chock override is it in the off position? Sorry you will have to check the book on which way is off. Yes that is a jet and the size is a 24 stamped on it. I would remove the jet with a screwdriver and inspect it for debris. Then take carb cleaner and spray thru the orifice of the jet and also the hole it came out of. Then re install the jet and test. If the issue is still their it may be the reed valves located behind the carbs are giving you blow back due to age. You will then have to remove the carbs and look into the cage to see if they are warped,cracked or not closing tightly. Did you do a compression test yet? if not check it and see if they are all within 10% of each other. I am not sure what the factory # is it varies as to the motor. Their is a forum called Iboats that is very good and will give you some more guide lines. You also might after doing the above contact our 2 gurus of motors Bernie and Big Cliff.

Art

you sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!! lol thank you so much for all the help. i will be on this first thing in the morning, hope the neighbour isn't on midnights ;) payback for all those saturday and sunday mornings of lawnmowers and snowblowers when i was on weekend midnights! grrrr :angry: