Spring Pike Tips

rbaquial

Hey Folks,

Just wanted to post a quick topic here. I was reading up on some Spring Pike Tips...

and came across this thread on the internet...

http://www.fishingbuddy.com/spring_pike_baits

The part that struck me the most was the use of WD40?! I've tried doing a search on

our forum, cause I remember seeing something similar in the past, but the results

were too much to return anything substantial.

My question is, has anyone heard of this tactic? Does anyone actually deploy this?!

What is this stuff really made of?!

Thanks,

Rob

Hey Folks,

Just wanted to post a quick topic here. I was reading up on some Spring Pike Tips...

and came across this thread on the internet...

http://www.fishingbu...ring_pike_baits

The part that struck me the most was the use of WD40?! I've tried doing a search on

our forum, cause I remember seeing something similar in the past, but the results

were too much to return anything substantial.

My question is, has anyone heard of this tactic? Does anyone actually deploy this?!

What is this stuff really made of?!

Thanks,

Rob

I've seen the use of WD-40 plenty of times, but years ago. I could be wrong, but I was under the assumption that it was made of fish oils, or at least it was used in a blend of ingredients.

but after some searching, it seems to be mineral oil, liquified pertroleum gas and hexane.

What is WD-40

This is from the WD-40 MSDS

Aliphatic compound

Any organic chemical compound in which the carbon atoms are joined in straight chains, as in hexane (C6H14), or in branched chains, as in 2-methylpentane (CH3CH(CH3)CH2CH2CH 3).

Hydrocarbon 50%

Any of a class of chemical compounds containing only hydrogen and carbon (for example, the alkanes and alkenes). Hydrocarbons are obtained industrially principally from petroleum and coal tar.

Physical Properties of Petroleum-Based Oil 25%

Petroleum-based oil describes a broad range of natural hydrocarbon-based substances and refined petroleum products, each having a different chemical composition. As a result, each type of crude oil and refined product has distinct physical properties, that affect the way oil spreads and breaks down, the hazard it may pose to marine and human life, and the likelihood that it will pose a threat to natural and man-made resources. For example, light refined products, such as gasoline and kerosene, spread on water surfaces and penetrate porous soils quickly. Fire and toxic hazards are high, but the products evaporate quickly and leave little residue. Alternatively, heavier refined oil products may pose a lesser fire and toxic hazard and do not spread on water as readily. Heavier oils are more persistent, however, and may present a greater remediation challenge.

LVP Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 18% Same as above just with a lower vapor pressure (LVP).

Carbon Dioxide 3%, inert gas that is used as a propellant, Also used in beer and soda. This is the main cause for Beer farts.

Non-Hazardous Ingredients <10% Typically proprietary ingredients.

It’s NOT Fish Oil!

Edited by manitoubass2

spoon_fed_pills.jpg

all info found right on the WD-40 site... just saying... :whistling:

http://www.wd40.com/about-us/myths-legends-fun-facts/

What a Fish story!

Myth: WD-40 contains fish oil.

Fact:

Consumers have told us over the years that they have caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40. We believe this legend came from folks assuming that the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.

WD-40 Company has taken steps to respect and conserve the environment, and encourages its users to do the same. While WD-40 can be used to help protect fishing equipment from rust and corrosion, WD-40 Company does not recommend using WD-40 to attract fish.

I have a buddy that used it 95% of the time he trolled for Salmon or Trout & it really made a difference for him, if I needed sent I always used a salamander scent I picked up or one of the commercially made products for Trout, Salmon or Bass, I think the WD 40 covered his sent for some reason if he did't use scent he didn't catch fish, I always teased him that he stinks, the natural scent on his hands turned the fish off lol

SBK

spoon_fed_pills.jpg

all info found right on the WD-40 site... just saying... :whistling:

http://www.wd40.com/...ends-fun-facts/

What a Fish story!

Myth: WD-40 contains fish oil.

Fact:

Consumers have told us over the years that they have caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40. We believe this legend came from folks assuming that the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain't so.

WD-40 Company has taken steps to respect and conserve the environment, and encourages its users to do the same. While WD-40 can be used to help protect fishing equipment from rust and corrosion, WD-40 Company does not recommend using WD-40 to attract fish.

Don't you just love how companies dare you to buy their product? Kinda like the lotto corporations advertising during Saturday morning cartoons that "Betting is illegal if you are under 18 years of age." And they are actually proud of their "public service" announcement. Disgusting.