Algonquin

rob v

My wife and I are looking to spend a week or so in Algonquin - first time without the kids - and we haven't been there for several years (many). We're looking for a nice spot to spend a week - a drive to campsite - not too wild - but not too "urban" either. Not taking my boat - likely do some canoeing - but nothing too exotic at this stage. Hopefully do a bit of fishing too - maybe some small mouth - again - nothing too serious. Any recommendations from those with experience there ? Thanks very much.

Edited by Rob V

I would check in to Pog Lake I go to Algonquin every year and I find Pog Lake is the nicest and the quietest I have found, as for smallmouth I don't know but from my experience there isn't really to much there alot of the Lakes do hold trout I know that there are some spots with better fishing on the outskirts of the park but when I go I have better luck with trout. I could be wrong and just haven't found the smallies myself but who knows. I would Check into Pog Lake though forsure. There are some sites there that are open more but for the most part you aren't going to be right next to someone watching them eat dinner. Pog lake isn't the best for fishing but you are very close to one of the best lakes for trout other then if you portage in a couple. It is a quick drive up highway 60 and your there and there is an outfitters at that Lake and they can tell you more for the time you are there it's called Lake Opeongo. Hope that helps. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I've been going since I was a kid and I can also help with some nice portages if you decide you would like to do that for a day.

Chris

Edited by Live2fish85

Cannis Bay and Pog Lake are probably the two most secluded of the drive to sites. I think Cannis Bay is a slightly nicer spot but Pog Lake probably has better canoeing. Both these two sites have full comfort stations (bathrooms, showers, laundry, etc). There are paddle too sites available as well.

If you want to see a good lookout without too long of a walk try walking the Hardwood trail backwards (the look out is close to the end of the trail). There are nicer lookouts but they require a bit more time to get there.

I've had really good success on Rock Lake a few years back. It has great shore fishing. There's a river with no current that connects it to another lake, and from a canoe you have tons of opportunity.

I also vote cannisbay. Sucluded yet not to far away, sites are reasonably private and nice facilities.

Book Quickly! They fill up FAST.

With a family, I agree Pog is perfect. It's small enough to let the kids play in the beach area and not worry about waves/boats ect.. We also stayed at Mew one year. I can't remember if it's Mew or Pog, but one of them had one of the nicest sunsets I've ever seen (rivaled by Sauble Beach)

Cannisbay is really nice too, but we found that the sites were really close together. If boating/fishing is your thing, I would go for a nice calm site (Pog or Mew) and just take the 10 min drive to Canoe lake (canoe rentals are right there anyway) for fishing.

Yea it is Mew Lake that has the really nice sunset, Pog Lake has a nice one but I always found Mew to have a nicer one. From the beach at Pog the trees cover most of the sunset. If you a take a hike though from Pog over the bridge and then to the left at the dead end you can get a very nice veiw of the sunset as well and often see moose and other wildlife I remember as a kid seeing a bear down there once. But I love taking a drive around that time as well to try and see the wildlife on highway 60. If you see nothing still a beautiful drive. As crossover said Rock Lake is also very nice mind you anywhere there is just beautiful it's just personal prefrence I guess. Hope you enjoy your trip and weather is good.