Alone In The Wilderness....

Gerritt

CHeck this video out Mike.

Nice find. I'm not a huge fan of Kevin Callan's but watching him virtually retrace my route makes me yearn for who I once was.

Man do I miss it. :(

A few shots at the end shows a bit of Wendell's craftsmanship. There's so much more though...

Thanks for posting this.

In a similar vein when I was on one of my lengthy solo canoe trips I stumbled onto Wendell Beckwith's cabins on an island on Whitewater lake north of Armstrong.

I believe Wendell lived a similar life although was much more eccentric.

He apparantly picked this island after performing complex calculations that proved to him that this island was the center of the universe. :whistling:

However the level of construction and ingenuity in the series of cabins he built was breathtaking. Actually surpassing imo what was in this video.

Most ingenious I thought was his "snail" cabin. Built right into a hillside and more or less underground it was like a hobbit house from lord of the rings.

Octagonal shaped and lined with wood, it had an earthen roof where he supposedly planted vegetables for an early spring crop from the warmth.

The main cabin had a hand carved figurehead over the door like something out of Hansel and Gretel..just truly amazing in every detail.

I have tons of pictures in my scrapbook of these buildings. One day I'll get a scanner and post them properly.

Solo....is there any place you haven't been? :thumbsup_anim:

Ive suddenly have the urge to build a log cabin and try that whole thing out. I would have a chainsaw though. And he lived there alone for 30+ years. I think i would need some company personally.

I love videos like this, it also doubles as a "how to", i learned allot on wood an what wood can make.

Edited by umKthxbye