Alone In The Wilderness....

Gerritt

It has been awhile since anyone has posted about Dick... SO I thought I would post this video for all the new folks to OFC..

I have probably watched this video over a hundred times... Dreaming, for a simpler life...

Anyways I hope you enjoy it.

G.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tYvjpXiPyXo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow, I haven't seen this in along time. I love this feature. I will admit, this guy has inspired me in such a positive way, for sure. I have dreamed of setting up a permanent post in the Rockies, but it's more of a pipe dream than anything else. What matters to me is that I would like to think that I can handle it. Thinking back to the fundamentals, the simplicity of how life should be lived. Our roots have been planted strong to the ground for that reason, but we have lost the value of how great life can be. We end up cutting ourselves free from our roots and float aimlessly away in in a direction that has no meaning. Some people can't even handle a day out in the wilderness, let alone survive a night with the amenities and conveniences that some parks will offer, like electricity and bathrooms. We can all learn from Dick. I know I have from him and others like him. Thanks for sharing this.

It's weird you post this now. Earlier in the week I was given the DVD's, Alone in the Wilderness, Alaska: Silence and Solitude & The Frozen North. Plenty of footage with Dick. Loved his film, and only have The Frozen North left to watch tonight. Amazing his skills and final choice in his life.

In a similar vein when I was on one of my lengthy solo canoe trips I stumbled onto Wendell Beckwith's cabins on an island on Whitewater lake north of Armstrong.

I believe Wendell lived a similar life although was much more eccentric.

He apparantly picked this island after performing complex calculations that proved to him that this island was the center of the universe. :whistling:

However the level of construction and ingenuity in the series of cabins he built was breathtaking. Actually surpassing imo what was in this video.

Most ingenious I thought was his "snail" cabin. Built right into a hillside and more or less underground it was like a hobbit house from lord of the rings.

Octagonal shaped and lined with wood, it had an earthen roof where he supposedly planted vegetables for an early spring crop from the warmth.

The main cabin had a hand carved figurehead over the door like something out of Hansel and Gretel..just truly amazing in every detail.

I have tons of pictures in my scrapbook of these buildings. One day I'll get a scanner and post them properly.

In a similar vein when I was on one of my lengthy solo canoe trips I stumbled onto Wendell Beckwith's cabins on an island on Whitewater lake north of Armstrong.

I believe Wendell lived a similar life although was much more eccentric.

He apparantly picked this island after performing complex calculations that proved to him that this island was the center of the universe. :whistling:

However the level of construction and ingenuity in the series of cabins he built was breathtaking. Actually surpassing imo what was in this video.

Most ingenious I thought was his "snail" cabin. Built right into a hillside and more or less underground it was like a hobbit house from lord of the rings.

Octagonal shaped and lined with wood, it had an earthen roof where he supposedly planted vegetables for an early spring crop from the warmth.

The main cabin had a hand carved figurehead over the door like something out of Hansel and Gretel..just truly amazing in every detail.

I have tons of pictures in my scrapbook of these buildings. One day I'll get a scanner and post them properly.

CHeck this video out Mike.