NF - yard and grass questions...

The easiest way to get those driveway weeds out is with round up spray that you can "still buy" at CDN Tire . Round up is a "non selective" herbicide

which means it will kill everything that is growing for a long time, the selective herbicide which means that it is weed selective like the old weed and feed

and killex (weed killer)is no longer available in Ontario. So if you use the round up be very carefull around the lawn and gardens and don't spray on a windy day ! This will work for you.

As for your lawn I would start with a core aeration and then some good triple mix top dressing and rake the soil in good (not to much soil that will cover the exsisting grass)You will be surprised at what just doing this will do for your lawn ! I would do this as soon as possible so the spring rains do alot of the work for you by soaking in the new soil to your old soil.Come the begining of May put down some fertilizer like a 32-5-10 or something in that range .The higher the first number the higher the nitrogen content meaning better grass blade and a greener lawn , a good way to understand the meaning of these numbers is "Up,Down,All Around" Up first number makes grass grow good and makes it green,Down means root growth and All Around means grass grows out and spreads.

Like other people have said and the most important thing is don't cut lawn too short 3" is good , you might cut a little more but it is better for the grass and the long grass keeps the root bed cool and moist and as well the weed seeds can't germinate under the shadow of the long grass.Keep clippings on grass , these provide nitrogen for your lawn as they decompose , free nitrogen is good ! Oh ya one more thing keep blades on mower sharp .

The best time of year to seed your lawn is in September when you get cool nights and warm days and the weeds are not growing anymore and competing with your seed but you can seed now it's just not the best time of year for that !

A little info on grass seeding is that a grass seed is sorta shaped like a square and three sides of the four have to be touching soil to germinate so raking in the seed is important as well as being moist. Soil temperature have to be around 15 degrees C for good germination too , somthing like finding that magic 52 degree F for lakers (had to throw that in there)

Hopefully this helps and if you have any more question feel free to PM me !

Cheers

Dave

I, like BillM, live in Barrie which is a huge sand bed! Very tough to hold the water/moisture. I always lay down a few bags of peat moss mixed with top soil a few times a year, fertilize several times and over seed my lawn with quality seed throughout year. I don't water excessively because watering just enough, from what I've read, will make the roots go deeper as opposed to spreading out close to the surface if you constantly water. Multiple beers and conversing with the neighbours while watching the grass grown seems to work for me as well. :)

Cheers,

Colin

Everyone is way over thinking this....the man likes to fish or he wouldn't be asking here in the first place...keep things simple is what I always say and it don't get any simpler then this....phone a lawn service on the way to the boat launch.....on the way home pick up a self propelled electric start lawn mower for the wife....you can give it to her on Mother's Day.... ;)

Problem Solved... ;)

Bob

Bob, if we don't hear from ya immediately after Mothers Day, we will certainly know why.

I bought my wife one of those handy multi bit screwdrivers for Mothers Day many years ago. I am lucky to be here today! It is in the kitchen drawer and I use it all the time, but it was a tense few years back then!!!

Bob, if we don't hear from ya immediately after Mothers Day, we will certainly know why.

I bought my wife one of those handy multi bit screwdrivers for Mothers Day many years ago. I am lucky to be here today! It is in the kitchen drawer and I use it all the time, but it was a tense few years back then!!!

:rofl2: Brian and I thought my buying my wife a kitchen appliance for X-Mass many years ago was bad but a multi tool thats a good one!

My wife let me know in no uncertain terms that appliances/housewares of any kind are out of bounds as gifts.

RT2,

I see you didn't break her in right...instead she broke you in... :rofl2:

My bride has ALL the latest power tools she will ever need...

Washer

Dryer

Dishwasher

Lawn Mower

Weed Wacker

Edger

Compressor

Snowblower and snow shovel with her name on it...(taped on)let's not get carried away is what I always say.

Next Mother's Day if she's real good and I don't need another gun I'm thinking of getting her a Power Washer like Roy just got... :whistling: